FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Thursday, 6 May 2010

fai hip pain

My hip pain has generally been better (could the op for FAI and labral detachment have actually worked??) Jury still out I'm afraid, as sitting for a relatively short period (1hr) flares the pain even now.. just like it did pre op...so I don't know..
I question further impingement, scar tissue and the acetabular retroversion, which I know I have, but the question I have to ask Schilders is:
' How can my retroversion be mild if my pincer is extreme?????' That make no sense to me..

Anyhow that rubbish aside, I am more gutted to discover that my daughter having been given the all clear last yr for hip dysplasia, after months of pavlik harness treatment.. actually still has dysplasia.. mild they're saying but dysplasia is dysplasia and I once remember reading someone's blog who said in her eyes there is no such thing as mild dysplasia, you either have a stable hip or not. WHY did I listen when they said she was ok, in my gut I thought a little longer in the harness and now can't forgive myself that I didn't stand by that!
The idea my gorgeously happy, 18 month girl may have to go thru all this crap is just awful.. I look at her and fear for her but have to paint a big smile on my face for her! SHIT!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Chickie,

    Try not to worry and eat yourself out about your daughter. Mild dysplasia may not lead to degenerative changes later in life, and as her hips continue to mature there is a possibility that the natural progression may also improve her coverage.

    I speak from experience with my daughter, diagnosis, and changing diagnoses...and she was much older when even initially diagnosed with "some underdevelopment."

    Just continue to learn as much as you can and advocate for yourself and for her...and know that the silver lining in all you yourself are going for is for that purpose: to gain knowledge and to successfully advocate even more effectively on your daughter's behalf.

    Here for you if you ever need anything,
    Super Hip Chick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that made me tear up!! And you're absolutley right.
    ..And thank you for ALL the medical info you put out, I read the new studies everyday and hope my surgeon does! I even thought of forwarding them to him, but thought that might be the last straw for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louisa,

    that's rotten news, I'm sorry. But as SHC says have heart that it may have been enough to ensure she has a pain free time of it and there are good stories out there of people with DDH never knowing. I guess the other thing you can do is encourage her to do activities that keep flexibility - gymnastics, swimming etc as I'm sure that has a big role to play in the muscles supporting the hips.

    Thinking of you,

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dee, I slept on it last night and thought they must think its comparatively mild because before they were talking about immediate surgery and now they say wait till she's five in case she can self fix. She needs to walk and run (no problems she loves to) and I've just bought a trampoline, all weight bearing exercise will help apparently! Boing!

    ReplyDelete