FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 25 April 2010

improvement steroids or reality

Well, in general, I think I am doing better! Hurray!!

My hip held up REALLY well for me yesterday, during a 4 and half hour stint in a stately home and its play park on a hill (the things you do for your kiddies!) Frankly, I would've thought I'd have been a write off, after that amount of walking and standing! I was very aware of my hip etc, but no pain for a wonderful change and I had enough good sense to lay down for an hour when I got home!
I am really not sure if its the steroid (which typically takes 3 weeks to kick in for me always) or whether it could be ... that I am.. in fact.. SLOWLY... getting better???

The thing I am struggling with still is sitting and laying on my back esp, which brings on pain in the butt and sciatic pain! Possibly that is the hammies or some other annoying reactionary muscle group, though its still possibly ongoing intrarticular hip joint irritation.

My PT did loads of trigger point massage work on my tight adductors this week (OUCH!) and ouch for a good day after, but now fine. I think it could be that they, the TFL and Illiotal band, that are causing thigh and 'new' knee pain - peculiar pain patterns with hip problems.

Anyway in summary, whilst not out of the woods yet, I am also not saying 'ouch', 'shit', 'for god sakes', 'bloody hell' and 'leave me alone!' as much... So, on reflection, I would, say quite possibly, that I am improving now - only 9 months post op!! Grrrrr

3 comments:

  1. Hey Louisa,

    just wanted to say hello and good luck with the move. I hope things are still keeping calm and you're not overdoing with boxes/packing etc. Interestingly (random fact here) apparently swearing improves your pain threshold ?! so maybe it's a sign that things are definitely easing..

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louisa,

    I just recently found your blog and am finding it very helpful! I may not be running after children but I am 22 and a very active busy young professional! I am currently 3 months post op, I had a hip arthroscopy to repair a labral tear. I was recently feeling much better with pt for my back (I too have been having a lot of sciatic pain!) but have been finding some large obstacles as time progresses. Yesterday while I was walking at the gym I got sharp pain out of no where, it feels as if my hip joint needs to pop or crack, as if only I could do that and all my pain would go away! I'm not sure what can be done about that though with all the swelling and scar tissue, I'm not sure that it's entirely possible to relieve the hip joint in that state. Any thoughts? Anywho it's great to hear your story and I will be following for insight and advice regularly! Thanks!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dee... Thanks re move, you sweetheart! And no f**king wonder I swear and shout nowadays, least I've got a p*****g excuse now!!

    Hi there Katie,
    You've still plenty of time for swelling to go, peole recover sometimes much later than 3 months. What did you have done, was it labral repair alone or FAI work? Just normally there is some pathology behind the tearing unless there is some accident etc?
    You could try (if you haven't) icing your hip 3 x day for 15 mins.. see if that calms things down.. I know exactly what you mean about the urge to pop or crack the joint, I often have the same but no idea how to do it... its like the pain relief sneeze equivalent!
    If you want to find something in this blog, you can use the word search button at the end... Also there is a facebook FAI page which has loads of people contribute, great source of support.

    ReplyDelete