FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Thursday, 4 March 2010

why the nightpain in the bum? 8 months post op

Does anyone know what causes night pain? I had an easy day yesterday and relatively pain free, but then night pain!? I only get this with the operated side and actually it started 6 yrs ago (pre-op) and was my first symptom that something was wrong. Six years ago I also lost the ability to sleep on my front.. but then unexpectedly post op, as from 7 months ago, I was once again able to sleep on my front and a little on both sides!?
I can't understand why anterior hip impingement would have stopped me sleeping on my front?? Any thoughts?

If I lay on my front now, I can get more hours pain free sleep. But after that my back muscles fatigue.
I struggle more now to lay on my back ironically, it was always also problematic and involved many cushions. Now though, the minute I'm on my back and I lean onto that side, so if I'm either flat or tilt towards that hip I get immediate pain in my bottom and it seems to also travel down my leg into my calf? If I tilt to other way using cushions, this is less painfuland how I had to sleep for 6+ years, but still painful.

I think it is the same pain that I get sitting also. So if I lay flat on my back or sit I get a radiating pain in my bottom and if I do it for any period it seems to antagonize the whole hip and flare up the pain.. My lefty side, the one that needs operating on, currently only gets irritated in the same way if I sit, which started last year, but not yet if I lay..
I thought I'd ask if anyone had any thoughts re this, as asking health professionals has them just shrug!?? Any opinions really appreciated :)

8 comments:

  1. Louisa - The best exercise I did for the bum pain was where you lie on your side and lift the upper leg, with the toes pointed slightly down (hip rotated slightly inward). You only have to lift it about a foot off the ground; control the movement with your glute muscles so do it slowly. My gluteus medius was severely atrophied according to my therapist and this built it up.

    At first I could only do about 5. I worked up to 3 sets of 20 and bby the time I could do that the pain went away. It took about 2 weeks of doing them every day. After the first day I could barely walk, but they got easier.

    Same with the others, I was told to do what I could and try to work up to 3 sets of 20. As for the stretches, I try to hold them for 60 seconds (started with 20 seconds and worked my way up). Terrk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also try gentle hamstring stretches .
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, giving the glutes and hammys an extra blast for a month to see results x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to suggest stretching and some type of strenghtening exercises to build up and stretch your muscle. But that is to bad about your pain. And it isn't fun to be in pain and start losing sleep due to it. I hope it gets better and you find something that works and gets rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was doing the stretches every day but the strength exercises every other day. Careful not to do too much at first! I am sure you are probably as impatient as I am but we can't be maniacal about these exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Louisa! Thanks for your comments on my page - really appreciate them. Sounds to like I would look at the way you are using and strengthening your hip. How much isolated muscle exercises do you do, and how much is whole body movements - ie more functional stuff. I know that Louise prob has it covered as she is excellent. Just an idea but I've found that its easy to get focussed on each muscle individually rather than whole hip/body big movement function. First isolate - then integrate. Isolation without integration leads to imbalance and dysfunction ultimately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree with clare

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Claire and James, actually I saw Louise our physio and by chance she said much the same and that i am doing a lot of exercises badly and she wants me to do 4, just 4, well and keep moving in the pool too. Also a special pilates lady who works with a trapeze to properly isolate without weight on the joint but with resistance stronger than water. so hey how I have a plan and if its muscular I ma determined to nail it!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete