FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Wednesday, 24 March 2010

and then I fell! 8 months post op

Well have been doing generally better (not out of the woods better, but reason for hope better,) hence my absence!
However, last Friday I fell/dropped down a stair, least I was in a shop walking and there was a stair dropping down into the changing room that bizarrely wasn't marked and instead it was actually carpeted over. So walking, I just happened to step into it and unexpectedly dropped 3 or 4 inches and ouch! It kinda shunted my hip upwards and immediately hurt the illiac crest area.. since then I have had much more trouble sleeping, feel dull ache in joint when I put weight on it and some spasm around the hip also. Really cross what a stupid thing to happen and I am sooo careful too! However that was 5 days ago and I'm hoping my 8 months post op joint can withstand that jolt and heel in the coming days or week.

On a positive note, as of today, I have started one to one pilates using a trapeze and reformer table to hold the weight of my leg and allow the pilates person to add resistance as I become able, so tailoring to my hippy needs.
Also I have an appointment with my surgeon. He knows I am disappointed with my recovery so far and I am curious what this next appointment will bring.

Happy healing out there!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no not a fall, the one thing we hippies all fear the most. hope you manage the pain alright and get a good result from your consultation. I've heard on Injuryupdate that some surgeons are stopping doing the FAI surgeries i wonder why?? Do you think i've had similar to this FAI in my surgery?? As i had the ball reshaped as it's oval and the femur lengthened as well. I'm still getting nowhere fast myself and i'm still on 2 crutches, sending you happy healing thoughts though my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hip thinking THR.. I'll sell out my later years for some pain free mobility whilst I'm young!
    Who's stopping and why, is news to me???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean 'Keep' thinking.... 'hip' thinking??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to head for a THR in the future, as the girls like Dee and Katz are making me feel so jealous bless em, as they are living and are pain free!! Imagine that!? Imagine all the shopping we could do xx

    ReplyDelete