FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Tuesday, 29 December 2009

hip arthroscopy recovery week 26? Mind the gap

hip arthroscopy pah! Me and my big mouth... massive flare today and I think I know why ..its because of Izzy's Gap fleece all in one and my desire to buy it in the sales, combined with Gap moving childrens' wear onto the 2nd floor, from the basement, where I obviously unwittingly went, if you combine that with my lift phobia (thank god I don't live in New York) you're pretty much in the picture! I walked?? up 3 flights of stairs to get my daughter a much desired fleece snowsuit! Not just normal stairs, this is a big old Georgian building with super high ceilings and endless stairs.

The only red flag, other than struggling for air and swearing under my breath was that once I got there and literally reached out to the snowsuit rail my 'good' leg collapsed and the shop assistant looked horrified. "Cramp?" I yelped before adding "have you got these in size 12 to 18 months??" but retrospectively once up off the floor, I might've pondered my leg collapsing to be a bad sign!!
After that I couldn't bend my leg, my left/good leg without cramp-like pain and weakness so ironically I had to hyperventilate my way down to the ground floor in a lift (elevator US folk)!
Managed to shop fine on one level for a further hour and felt fine last night, good even.

BUT this morning, oh dear, pain in my right hip, quite severe and also I think muscle pain and weakness in my left/good side. I'm hoping my left isn't replicating my right hips ability to give way, as it once did pre op. My right hip just really hurts inthe same pain patterns as pre op.. Bit of a shock almost 6 months out of hip arthroscopy surgery for FAI to be this affected by something I would've done in my sleep, pre hip problems. More acceptable on the side awaiting surgery. But severe pain after 6 months WTF?!

So Now 2 nights before a new decade my hubby has me under 'strict' instructions to DO NOTHING as I now have a miserable cold, some kind of 'hip stress induced anxiety disorder' and 'both' hips in meltdown. I can't sit and I'm crawling up my own stairs. Me and stairs simply do not get on! That's as black and white example as you can get!
I really wanted to ring up Gap today and complain and ask how many stairs there were from basement to second floor, but fear they'll think, no confirm, that I'm nuts if I do so, but let me say there were loads.

Err, its Christmas time I need to say something positive.... hmmm On the upside Izzy looks fab in her pink fleece snowsuit!

8 comments:

  1. Louisa,
    I had a bad cold last week and my hip hurt worse than it has since my the surgery. My PT said when you're sick your body kind of attacks it's weakest point. Hope you start feeling better soon.

    And anything to keep our girls looking fab right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above post makes sense as i too have been feeling low, and hip has suffered for it. I'm sorry to say that your posts always have me giggling even though i can feel your pain and frustrations, you have an excellent talent for telling a story!! I was actually at the shop with ya facing those stairs, thats how good your description is!!
    Hope your pain settles down, it's awful to think that 6 months on, the post op pain is just as bad as pre-op pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Louisa, Im with Debbie, I am so sorry you are in so much pain, but you do make me laugh!! :) We have all been there with the stairs, and can feel your pain and frustration , especially at 6 months post-op. I am going through the same now, so can really sympathise, and can only say hang on, and lets hope 2010 brings some sort of a miracle for all of us! Bet you wouldn't have tackled all those stairs for yourself- its amazing what we do for our kids! But I'm sure she looks gorgeous though, and once the worst pain subsides you will know it was worth it.
    All the best for the New Year, keep posting, you cheer up all of us hippies no end.I think you should put those journalist skills into writing a book about the trial and tribulations of being a hippie- and put me down for a signed copy!
    Hugs
    Kate xxs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie and Kate thanks so much for your kind remarks... you've gotta laugh or you'll go insane with this hip stuff at our ages! Happy New year xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post!The post is very much informative.Flex Protex is very essential for improving our joint health. It is quite common now a days to have problems with our joint health. Flex Protex is the natural way to get rid of the pain without experiencing any side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog. Had the surgery a few weeks ago. Hang in there. May 2010 be pain free! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, thank you! How are you doing? Are you a triathlete?

    ReplyDelete