FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Saturday, 19 December 2009

hip arthroscopy FAI surgery recovery week 24? heels on the road to happiness

Well my outlook has substantially improved in recent days and I am ashamed to admit is is thru something as utterly trivial as been able to wear heels for a couple of hours each day.. so as I now have little social life, due to limiting hips of recent years, my only way of showing off was to take Oscar to school whilst wearing Jeans and heeled boots, hurrah!! Obviously absolutely nobody noticed! I had to literally stop myself from approaching strangers and saying 'Wuhoo get me, don't I look hot!" They're only like 2 inch high wedge heels, not Ditta Vontease killer heels or anything!

Stressed, well yes I still am, its not going to go that fast, but I'm just getting on with it! Its been a hard hip year and there's more surgery ahead, but I've decided if I need a few more months till surgery, then I need a few more months. Its a natural cause /effect reaction so I'm sure it will pass in time.
Hey one upside of all the hip surgery induced stress is that I've lost 4lbs! Wuhoo - wearing heels 'and' getting skinny, does life get much better than this??!!
Well yes I suppose it could.. my Christmas wish for myself and for all of us hip suffering pioneers is less bloody pain and more accurate diagnosing and more successful, faster recoveries!! ..and a bit of peace and goodwill to all mankind for good measure!

8 comments:

  1. U R LINKED! =)

    I concur with your Christmas wishes, too!!!

    Keep charging ahead!

    My Best,
    SHC

    ReplyDelete
  2. YaY ! Thats great news! Its amazing how good it makes you feel. I'm still putting my heels on a couple of times a week, don't care if it makes the hip sorer, sometimes its worth it just to feel like a woman again.
    Hope the hips behave over xmas, and you and your kiddies have a great time,
    Hugs
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't they just Kate, its deffo worth it! Six years flaties and I'm only a shortie!
    Have a lovely Xmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to wear heels, I never have been able to because they caused knee pain, so I have never had the pleasure of heels. Perhaps now I am fixed I can try a pair out? Quite exciting - thats going to be my new postop goal.

    Louisa, I meant to also say, my surgeon told me that my acetabulum were at least 30 degrees retroverted, so around 70 degrees, not the 50 I thought. Hence why he needed to break my pelvis and reset it all. Perhaps why yours was able to be fixed through a scope instead.

    Have a fab Xmas, forget the hips for a while and heres to a great new year for us all!

    Sam
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. New goal Sam yes! He he..
    I'm not sure which angle mine was, only the degree.. I know that the average fai pincer (retro) presents to Proff Shilders with at 37 degree angel and my right, operated hip was 58, now post op is 37.. My lefty is 45. Not sure if that's the alpha angle, or something different. My head always turns to mush in important appointments!
    Have a good one, you'll be dancing next yr! XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. heels ?! yippee.. you go girl.. you'll be running next..

    Dee (enviously looking at the unworn sparkly heels in my cupboard and wondering if I can pull it off for a couple of hours !!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am hearing so much horror stories about fai repair, i am having FAI with labral repair and osteoplasty,,,, i feel if i do the rehab to the letter i will be just fine, if not i will have terrible pain from scar tissue, Is this accurate assumption?

    ReplyDelete