FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 15 November 2009

hip arthroscopy recovery week 19

I wonder when the post hip arthroscopy dateline will be described in months as opposed to weeks?? Its like when you have a baby, you describe them as say 14 weeks old, but at some point you flick over to months - where is that line? (sorry only Mum's will understand that!) Yes, here's my 100092 week old daughter, I mean 18 year old!
Anyhow v happy as my daughter's Doc rang Sat morning after her one year, or 52 week! follow up x-ray for hip dysplasia and was happy to tell us he is pleased with her hip reduction and that all is well, although they will continue to monitor her. She started walking yesterday, she does though appear to have a limp, but it is v v early days and they're saying it could just be a hangover from the hip dysplasia.. I'm hoping so. Babies often walk funny when learning, right?

So, me, I'm up and down, managed to stay off the meds so far, so that's something. Discovered I could walk sideways yesterday, not something I do often, but I know I couldn't pre op as I remember standing in a canteen queue and really struggling to do just that (a month pre diagnosis) and feeling really freaked out, thinking what the hell is wrong with me??! SO, great I can do that. Now I too can walk with crabs or queue up for crappy canteen food, wuhoo I'm at one again!! Sorry do I sound ungrateful!

Pain coming and going, but in stereo! Yesterday I had a terrible day with my 'good' hip and my bad, operated hip was fine. Today that good hip is ok, but my bad hip grumbling a little, so far, only morning! I wonder if I'm always leaning from one to the other as they alternately flare up? Can inflammation really come and go like that?! I really need this second one fixing before it gets into the state my right hip has.
So its still limiting life a lot, just trying to manage my expectations and maintain a feeling of enjoying my life regardless and to be honest that can be a struggle some days.. wait and see really isn't it...and I am NOT blessed with patience!

Anyhow gonna crack on with doing the baby blog I've been promising myself since before getting sidetracked with hips... May as well put those journalist qualifications to some use!?! Thinking of getting a talk type application for my mac, then I can lay around like cleopatra on a chaise dictating to my blogs and not concern myself with the boring anxieties of how long I can sit/how fast can I type!
Heal well fellow hipsters XX

4 comments:

  1. Louisa, you do sound more positive today. The inflammation can do the wacky swapping thing. Even now, I can hop on my crutches for my left leg and it aggravates the right, despite now being 8 months post op for that one. So I wouldn't worry too much, just watch your gait and try to keep it as even as possible. If you can't, then perhaps a walking stick or one crutch for a few days will help both sides quieten down a bit.

    You do seem to be doing a hell of a lot of workouts on your hips too? I know each surgeon is different, but perhaps as you are flaring both at the mo, maybe back off all exericses for a week and see if you get any improvement? Just a thought. I had a big flare up after I was a little naughty when my screws were removed, and I had to go back on crutches for 2 weeks, take anti-inflams and do nothing. It worked brilliantly and I really found that to be the turning point in my right leg's recovery (it killed leftie but heyho)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My PT exercises ended at week 12, but had heard aqua stuff was amazing, I'd avoided it earlier as scared of slipping in changing rooms etc and crutches slip so easily don't they, so I started that bit yet.
    I've found it did me no end of good (least I think so?) I was able to walk after a week of purely walking in water, amazed how fast I progressed. Really recommend it!
    To be honest I literally feel better immediately after which keeps me going back, like the crack cocaine of rehab! But really all I do is walk forwards mainly, sideways and backwards and chuck in about 150 glute exercises, but that's really because my glutes atrophied over the years.
    I SEEM to always injure myself doing things like carrying Izzy, esp on stairs I think that must be her additional weight as each leg/hip takes the stairs, changing nappies is a hazard too though a convenient one! As I will kneel down to avoid lifting the heffer child onto a unit and the kneeling lean far forward to change her nappy, completely closing my hip and the real killer sitting, even on cushions for a decent time. Walking in water funny enough feels to stretch my psoas as I can sometimes take large slow steps leaving one let far behind. But if it continues I might give your suggestion a try, or at least just fast forward to the jacuzzi bit, arrrh...
    How are you propping for your op? Is this second hip what keeps you on crutches now? How long is the recovery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all ready to go I think. I've got my preop next tues, as the booking took a while to get through, so as soon as that is done, I will be completely ready. Its my left hip that is keeping me on crutches, so hopefully after this op, I will be off them properly. The recovery is pretty big, probably 4 months on crutches, but around 18 months - 2 years until full ROM, muscle bulk back etc.

    Izzy is gorgeous! But I can see your probs with caring for her whilst trying to recover. Its probably not practical but how about changing her on the sofa so you can sit rather than kneel?
    xx

    ReplyDelete