FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 8 November 2009

hip arthroscopy recovery 17 wks

Rubbish mood and feeling sorry for myself. Spent a lovely afternoon with friends, but gutted they had to arrange a standing dinner party because I am struggling to sit still, good ole Bangers and mash though... Yum!!! They are half hour away in car travel time, that is an hour traveling both ways, leaving me approx 30 mins remaining sitting time for random sitting and no chance for 2 hour sit down meal with wine ontop, so a standing meal... so grateful, but so embarrassed as my disability stands out and as an active person all my life, I find it hard to be singled out as partially disabled in any way.

This week Mon and Tuesday good and I had Izzy (one yr old 25lb baby) to look after. Wed morning was also ok, but then a lift up to the highchair too many and I was polaxed! So did some serious nursery help rejigging to survive. Struggled to survive Thurs and Frid, recovered Saturday just in time to ruin it by driving into Leeds city for a meal, half hour drive there and back, 2 hrs lunch = PAIN! Followed by Sunday lunch arrangements = MORE PAIN! The audacity to think that I should be able to enjoy my life!!!!!!!!

As from this week, 17 weeks post op, the ONLY way I can even look after my daughter is if she goes to nursery, then my hubby leaves work at lunchtime and collects her and puts her straight to bed for a nap. She wakes at about 3pm, so then most of the day I haven't had to pick her up! I have also arranged for Oscar, my 4 yr old, to be collected from school, as with Izzy in tow and in a town house and a drive away, I can't carry Izzy around to collect my son. SO within all these super organized hurdles I can look after my kids, kind of! To be honest I'm feeling quite sad. Still lifting (muscle stuff) and sitting (FAI stuff) is ruining my life.
Feeling quite down to be honest.

Feel SOOOOOOOOOOO inadequate as a mother!
Is anyone else like this or just me, I manage until I try participate in life!
17 weeks and I still can't carry around my 25lbs daughter, or really do stairs with or without her, EVEN WITH A NOW BEYONCE MUSCLEY ARSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrggh!
BETTER? I DON'T THINK SO!

16 comments:

  1. Oh sweet girl...you're a fantastic mommy!! Have you talked to your doctor about why you're still in pain? What hurts? Back, hip,hamstring? I am so sorry you're feeling awful. Keep your chin up and positive thoughts in your head.... this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pain in buttocks and groin at night and when sitting. I'm just not convinced all impingement gone and keep coming back around to retroverted acetabulum, or arthritis, or saturn didn't really leave virgo!?????????????????????????????????
    ps thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Louisa, so sorry you're feeling so down. I'm sure you are a fantastic Mum (Mom ;-) )
    There has to be a reason for your continued pain. Have you been back to your surgeon and asked? Hang in there chicky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be right... maybe you still have impigement. have you had a follow up xray? Not sure what to say except be a good self advocate. If it doesn't feel right find answers. I can say personally that I felt the impignement was gone immediately. night and day. In fact I feel it in my left hip and not the right. Very odd feeling. FIND ANSWERS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I asked for an xray and he says he doesn't work like that, but I'm going to be back and ask again. Thinking of going back and asking for a CT scan 3D. Thanks for your support girls, is a hard word and few people understand. Noell can you lift say 25lbs yet? Too early prob though.
    Jess best of luck for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes.....I can lift 25lbs. I had a post-op xray 3 days after surgery to verify that the impingement was gone. How else can YOU know for sure. Sounds a bit fishy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What position were you in? to clarify, I've made an appointment for next month and I'm going to ask for whatever you had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of different positions. Laying down...hip open and closed, standing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you get somewhere with the xrays! Sorry to hear things aren't going so well,the last post seemed so posititve. It must be heartbreaking for you not to be able to pck up your kids. I am sure its harder for you than it is for them tho, kids accept things so quickly. I bet your a fantastic mum-you must be otherwise you wouldn't be beating yourself up so much! Enjoy lots of cuddles on the sofa.
    Hang in there, and good luck with the next appointment,
    Kate xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Kate, its not so bad with Oscar, he's four, but Izzy, shes one now and sits there crying to be picked up and obviously doesn't understand that I can't and will sideline me foor anyone now, even the bloody cleaner!!
    My pyhsio said could just be still inflammation in there today, but also agreed wise to check out any possibility of retroversion.
    It would certainly be infinately easier to heal without the pulls and jolts of babies and young children.
    Seeing Schilders 9th Dec now, gives me a few more weeks and I'll know what reassurance I need, though I want my reassurance in black and white on film this time, its not going well enough for mere words.
    How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Louisa, I am sorry you feel down. You should fly over here and we will be miserable together.
    I am in fact feeling exactly like you do. I have tried everything to gain control back of my life, but since the accident my body hasn't been the same. The pain is more than what I can bare as well and find I just can't enjoy my life like I used to. I am sending a hug across the ocean !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin, you made such a good start I don't understand, have they any answers for you and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been in pain with a lateral tear (FAI) for three years. I can't sleep and I'm thinking of doing the hip arthroscopy. I think if I had another kid the pain would get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear that anon... although the jury is out on that. My own experience was pregnancy one symptoms improved, but pregnancy 2 my symptoms got worse, I put on more weight with my daughter than my son, perhaps that was a factor. Good luck to you X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi all,after years of lower back and hip pain i had a back opreation to replace my l5 lumbar disc in july 2011.Many months later still in pain got referred to physio by gp, physio diagnosed bi lateral hip impingement and after mri scans this was confirmed along with labral tears and bursitis.I live in coventry and was referred to Professor Griffin who i believe has a good reputation.After a long wait i got to see him in june and he was very nice and operated in july 2012 which turned out to be nearly 5 hours due to me having a very tight hip joint which made access difficult. it turned out that i had a large cam impingement with a labral tear that was debrided,and the other hip had a steroid put into it.I am now two months post op but still have groin and buttock pain more so when sitting and i still get the feeling that the hip is still impinging on certain movements,which isa worry even though the proff said he airs on the side of caution on how much he takes away as you cant put back once its taken away.I get the feeling that it has not worked and will put my concerns to him next month when i have my follow up.Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks Paul

    ReplyDelete