FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 22 November 2009

hip arthroscopy FAI recovery week 20

Have a sneaky feeling things MAYBE improving, but almost don't want to say it out loud in case I jinx the mear thought!
I am working out a little less, half hour every odd day, rather than an hour a day.. (something someone said - thanks Sam!) I think that's working better, I was doing water exercises fanatically, but frankly it was just an indication of my desperation to get fixed!
I've noticed another minuit thing, I no longer waddle when I first get up, another small sign right?? Right?
The improvements are tiny, but in the right direction, just tiny!
OOh also starting to walk up the stairs consecutively, rather than one at a time like my 4 yr old.

SO at week 20, no medication other than the odd heat patch. Constant awareness of hip discomfort, but tipping over into full on pain occurring a little less, though I am still restricting all sitting, lifting, standing activities to maintain that position.
I am walking upstairs bit better, not waddling, walking sideways is possible and walking in general is better! I almost feel a ticker tape parade coming!! ... is that a fanfare?

7 comments:

  1. Louisa,
    Sounds great!! I'm with you, I backed off my PT a bit and saw big improvements right away. Of course I think it's very important, but overdoing it is not good for us either! We gotta be patient and get through this together:)

    Congrats on the progress, waddleless mornings are much better (and much more attractive).

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iguess since I am only ten week post op I will have to wait awhile not to waddle!!!!
    I have been uncomfortable the last few days, worried that I did something....at work Iam a CNA at a nursing home and had two very heavy lifts this weekend due to falls. Picking up A LARGE woman off the floor is not easy,
    Delighted that you are doing better.
    Hope that I get better soon, the pain is terrible
    Lemon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lemon, you can't do that part of your job in your condition, you should get a letter confirming that, you could undo the good work.
    I could scarcely lift my 25 lb daughter!

    And thanks and same to you and if you're not already find a pool and walk in water, its near miraculous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Louisa,

    That sounds really positive!! I hope you continue to improve, it slows down a lot but at least things are going in the right direction.
    I think everyone falls into the trap of trying to exercise too much in desperation to make the hip stronger. I put myself back loads of times and have now given up all exercise except a few physio exercises for the hamstrings and hip flexors, both of which are still pretty weak, but have felt so much better by doing less. I will take just getting through each day without meds and only mild pain over being in peak fitness at the moment!
    Hope the positive feeling continues,
    Hugs
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kate, I think you're right. Where has your blog gone.. v quiet!? XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the key is not to do the same exercises day in, day out so that they get chance to recover - just like any training. So you could do get away with doing 'something' everyday as long as you are not doing the same muscles in the same way cos you will end up with very fatigued muscles that will tighten up and tweak easily.
    I reckon you should def do some specific mobilising and stretching everyday to help balance the joint. For strength I've tended to rotate a day on glute mat work, a day on core work and a day on hydrotherapy whilst keeping going on the bike for 20-45mins each day. (Except the last 2 weeks where I've just been overtaken by other stuff) I've really noticed a tightening up and a slow down in improvement from not moving it enough. Great news on your improvements!! Roll on the fanfare !! toot toot!!

    ReplyDelete