FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Wednesday, 21 October 2009

hip arthroscopy recovery - wuhoo I can RUN!

Today I discovered I can run! I know I can run in water, but it turns out I can run for real, on land! I ran because I was in a toy shop passing the day when I asked the time and then realized I had 10 minutes to collect my son, from school which was 20 minutes from the shop!!
I wouldn't have been quite so panicked, but he only started school last month and yesterday I locked myself in the house/lost door & car keys so at the last minute I had to desperately ring round and find someone to collect my poor son! I figured on 2 consecutive days, been quite that crap would be unimpressive and given I locked myself in again about two weeks ago and they had to hold him until I could escape and drive to school, I wasn't taking any chances and ran, YES RAN (with 4 shopping bags, light ones!) for a few minutes to my car and then did the obvious and rang the school on my mobile and told them I'd been in a car crash, like you do! Didn't realize how bad that sounded until I heard the head mistress gasp and I added a small crash? ..and that I'd be late. Actually recounting that is making me laugh, but at the time I was hysterical and genuinely concerned they'd report me to social services for neglect or something!

Anyhow so add running to the list of new abilities and even in the teary sprint I was present enough to notice I thought my stride was rather even!!! Doing 1 hr, 5 days a week in the pool walking/running and doing specific exercises. It never brings on the pain, mostly feels good after and I am feeling muscles grow, specifically my atrophied bum/glutes! So I'm aiming now for a hot Beyonce big ass!

7 comments:

  1. Yeeee haaaaarrr...oh, and that was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was catching leaves with the kids the other day....after reading your post I was careful! But I realized that yes, that was a little tricky....uneven ground stop and start, twist and turn yikes.
    I am off the crutches have been for several weeks. I was not undiagnoised for as long as you were and I also did not have a laberal tear. Just got bones trimmed! Femur and hip socket.
    Went hiking with the kids yesterday.... my son needed a piggy back out of the trail. That did not go so well, feel that this morning, but amazed that I could even do it. My Dr would probably have a heart attack if he knew. However, he has not really been great on communicating what I should and should not do.
    I think my PT is all strenth and no therapy...no ultra sound or massage or anything! Just work.
    Lemon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats was soo funny!

    Go Beyonce! Let me know when you do your first marathon :)

    Hugs
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm thanks for your support there! I really was flapping imagining social services at my door wanting to take my kiddies away.."The thing is officer I was busy err shopping but in my defense, I was shopping for the kids!"

    Lemon, took me a while to work this out but ask for what you need from PT, they offer such wide and varied skills..if you think you can manage exercise without there guidance say so and ask for massage, or ultra sound, or whatever you want, its their job to provide it and you're paying!
    If your PT isn't up to scratch get a new one. I'm very lucky, mine is great and prepared to meet my needs. There good ones are out there. You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your PT prince/ess!!
    For anyone interested and close to Leeds, UK, Louise at Physiocure, Cookridge Hall is a great PT and was the 1st person I saw (and I saw a lot!!) in '6 yrs' to spot it was my hip! Good luck Lemon, ask for what you want, they don't always know what's best for you, you might know better its your body!
    PS did you catch any leaves??!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny yet inspiring piece you have here. Its true, we can always attain what we want as long as we put our mind and heart on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you and good luck with that law suit, I see the lady who was the face of De puy has had her hip fail too, what a sad irony.

    ReplyDelete