FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 18 October 2009

hip arthroscopy recovery 14 wks 2 days

Top tips post hip arthroscopy - its unwise the try race your 4 year old on a scooter! Top tip 2, don't try catch falling autumn leaves, you won't be as good as you were and it really can jar your hips darting sideways and back and forth..still, I caught 4 leaves and each one is good luck! I caught one and quickly made a really trivial wish, then thought how silly, when I 'should've' given it to my son.. so had to catch a second for Oscar, THEN I remembered something really important I wanted to wish for and had to catch a 3rd for a serious wish for myself, then thought God that's really selfish, so had to catch a forth to make a wish for my children!!!! ...by which time I was half crippled and my four year old boy, 20 minutes after the initial excitement of catching leaves was pleading 'Please Mummy can we go in now, I'm BOOORRRED!'

Anyway won't stay, else I'll moan and doubt everything, but its been a dodgy few days and when I tried to come off pain killers, for my stomach, I realized I was in pain and also still had groin pain, it had just been masked by anti inflammatories, so I was REALLY disappointed!

3 comments:

  1. Dont be too discouraged-your previous posts were so positive, and you have come so far over the last few weeks-there is no way you could chase leaves a couple of weeks ago, meds or not!
    Hang in there hopefully things will start to settle down a bit soon. If it helps I am back on anti inflamms at 5 months post-op and dont think I would even dare to try and chase leaves, lol.
    Take care
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have been following you since a week before my FAI surgery. I had mine done on Sept. 1st. Here in Wisconsin USA. It is an up and down battle. Hang in there. Don't give in to it!
    My recovery has felt long also, I am six weeks post op. I know I have a long way to go. Have you looked into doing any Physical Therapy, not just rehab but the therapy part, like ultra sound and massage?
    I know you have done some, but why not continue?
    Lemon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, bizarrely reassuring you're on anti inflams, don't mean that in a bad way, but I guess shows how up and down can be. Re Leaves, I was better at it this time last year at nine months pregnant!! xx

    Hi Lemon,
    How are you doing? Thanks for getting in touch.
    Physio, started at week 3 and never stopped. She's doing magnetic something or other a warm thing apparently more effective than ultra and she has used ultra too. She also does trigger point massage too and tests my strength, tightness and walk - and then shows me some exercises doi compliment my recovery. I do think physio helps. I think after yrs of it I'm so used to it I forgot to mention I have it!!
    I hope you continue to do well, I think was around then coming off crutches that my pain increased a bit, so go easy if thats where you're at!

    ReplyDelete