FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Tuesday, 13 October 2009

hip arthroscopy recovery 13 wks 4 days

So on the 5th day I have pain, BUT I just had 4 consecutive pain free-ish days! Even though v active. Yesterday went a bit mad, cleaning for house viewing, shopping, laundry, swim stuff and then a big dash to find Oscar a halloween outfit for his first primary school pumpkin party CCCUUUTEE!! 4 shops and a sore bum (mine!) later we found the much desired skeleton suit! So today I felt tender and last night I couldn't sleep on my back without really bad bum pain...LUCKY I CAN NOW SLEEP ON MY FRONT THEN, TA DARR!
Had a day of forgetting meds and yesterday I decided the smartest solution might be to halve them to just 7.5mg meloxicam per day.

Its going to be a more intense ten days from tomorrow as my hubby goes to Hong Kong and China on business leaving me running after the kids with my mum, so like I said 'I'll' be running after the kids! Expect stressed, painful posts!
Good hip playing up a bit and sitting pain all around. But with hope I'm chipper again, least the pain is lightening, would LOVE to hear from other post hippy's to hear your experiences so far?

11 comments:

  1. Other than me lol ?
    It's good that your were pain free for those days, it does offer that glimmer of hope that eventually it will be gone completely huh. You need to know your limitations while hubby is gone but I know you will be good. Lots of soaks, good pain meds and maybe a bottle (or 2) of a good wine !

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God have you been spying on me???!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps half bottle, I'm a lightweight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you've had some pain-free days. What I've learned is when I have a less painful day I assume I'm cured and I immediately run out and overdo it and then I regret it. I am not good at restraining myself ... trying ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol TnT, I remember lots of days like that ! It's encouraging though Louisa that you've had a few days of improvement and I'm sure it's just a case of continuing to be patient and hopefully not having to overdo it too much while your other half is away. From about 12 weeks on, I definitely found the more I walked/exercised, the more on top of the pain and stiffness I was. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dee that is reassuring, how are you now? and Teri absolutely yes, two days pain free and I was fantasizing about getting back a normal life. I LOVE been active, I LOVE exercising, even more than before, probably just because I can! Hows trying to resume skating going? Must be terrifying?!

    Ps Does anyone know if its possible to buy patience on the net??

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY GREAT NEWS LOUISA!!! :)

    You are getting there -you will have loads of days when you feel as if you have taken a step back, but they will get less. As long as the general trend is one of improvement thats the main thing. You sound a lot more positive, just try to pace yourself and dont do too much on the days when you feel good-trust me, it ALWAYS bites you on the bum if you do!
    I am so pleased things are finally starting to improve for you, you really deserve it.
    If you find that website selling patience be sure to send me the url!!
    Hugs
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not allowed to skate until 4 months (Nov. 8) despite going out on skates for a photo at 10 weeks which was just pure stupidity. I then go under the knife for PAO#2 on Nov. 18, so I won't have much time to terrify myself.

    Patience ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, I know you're right, but isn't it tempting to go full throttle when the speed is there suddenly, BTW I call anything above a waddle speed! And thanks you...you're quiet doing well I'm guessing then!? X

    Teri can't believe you dare skate, I'm newly terrified of all slippery surfaces, in a doddery granny kind of way. But I like your spirit. Op 2 so soon, well at least you can wave goodbye to 2009 knowing the ops are both behind you, that was my plan, but with childcare stuff I think I'll be looking at next spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Louisa you had asked about sitting in the "W" position. Sitting in W CAN mean dysplasia, but not necessarily. I sat in W and my younger sister copied me, but she doesn't have any hip problems or dysplasia. I can still sit in W even though my right hip is now fixed and no longer dysplastic. I think it's something to watch carefully but doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank Teri,
    Good to know, I may be a little paranoid with Izzy, I'm very afraid she'll suffer like I did for years and even when finally diagnosed its still not an easy road. Cheers for that!

    ReplyDelete