FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Friday, 11 September 2009

Hip arthroscopy recovery 9 wks, MRI scan

Well I am with the fairies tripping... serious MRI phobia. Took 5mg diaz as left home... nothing! took ano half so 2.5 more, then at the point it he told me it would go in up to my head and take an hour and a half and need a dye contrast injection I took another 2.5mg = 10MGS!!!!!! Off my trolley. And it took ages, half way thru to work.
They're looking to see if they've missed anything obvious causing the sitting pain, aside from my hip, but related to my hip. Apparently with hip problems you can get a triad effect (no, nothing to do with machete wielding Chinese men!) but it can knock onto the hamstrings and sacroiliac joint and I asked for the glute bit. So when all was done the whole thing took 2 hours.
I was trying to explain the horror of MRI scanners to my mother, who isn't the most compassionate person and has no medical experience to draw from.. I said its like been locked in a lift so small your nose touches the door and then having a bunch of lunatives whacking the metal lift with dustbin lids to make it really noisy and scary.

She just rolled her eyes and said, "Lou do you have to be so graphic!?" I said just trying to get you to picture why its so scary and perhaps get a smidgen of sympathy."Alright, she said "I'd hate it too!" Hmm thanks, that's my Mum been all warm and fuzzy!!!

Anyway I am alive, off my face and awaiting results with little anticipation, if nothing then just a bloody slllooowww recovering hip, it something its more grief is it even fixable? Poor Bupa! They have, so far been fantastic.

Well, going house hunting tomorrow, because there are 30 stairs in my house to get from the entrance to the bedrooms! Exciting to view potential new home ..but you know whilst most people can't wait to get into the kitchens and bathrooms, I'm going to be heading for the staircase, doing a stair count and checking step depth, its tragic...
why don't I just send myself an 80th birthday card, move into a bungalow and have done with it!!!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Louise,

    I do feel for you, since my last post I have been very up and down with the pain and feel like an oap at the moment cant walk without bad limp and just cant imagine being myself again you know simple things like walking the dog, clothes shopping, just walking up one flight stairs with no pain and last but not least wearing a pair of heels, every time i open the wardrobe and see my lovely shoes its torture.
    I have been told because of my grade IV lesions I will need hip resurfacing and if I'm still in pain end of Oct. he has recommend an injection of GF-20 Hylgan/Synvisc which will ease the pain for up to a year.
    I am also sure you are right about the stairs luckily we sold our house prior to the op and we have been renting a bungalow as I know I would be on crutches but we did buy another house and have renovated it and we are moving in 4 weeks, but everytime i go there I find the stairs so hard and suffer the next day so I am dreading it really.
    The night pain seems to have calmed down so getting a nights sleep helps.
    On the bright side I here disco music is making a comeback so this time next year I'm sure we'll be doing boogie woogie!!!!

    Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annette,
    What is that injection? Was that grade IV arthritis? Interesting you find stairs a pain too. WHat were your original symptoms? When was your op? Where are you and well done too for keeping your humour and girliness I KNOW what you mean about SHOOOEES!!! Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Not to sure what the injection is but from what I have read it seems to act like cartilage, I have been told that I do not have arthritis, the lesions are caused by the bone rubbing away the surface of my hip prior to the labral debridement and femoral neck osteoplasty (what a mouthful!!)I had the op on the 6th July, prior to the op my hip was very stiff and I walked with a limp because walking was so painful and weight on the hip was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you now err Toad? Our ops were only days apart.
    Me the less I do the better, night pain and sitting pain and I think I merely overdo it by standing because I can't sit. Pain both hips. Fan-bloody-tastic!

    Annette viewed a house today and it was 2 story but only 12 stairs and very shallow, felt so different, easier that I can scarcely see past the stairs. I think I quite liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Annette, I;m sorry I've just realised you are toad, I'm an idiot! Ok makes more sense now!
    Are you stateside or UK?
    I still can't get over how shallow those stairs were yesterday!! Amazing..gotta buy it!
    Moving without the ability to do anything must be tough for you, it involves you pointing alot and him getting very irritated I'm guessing.
    PS I would kill for a mega shop till you drop day..I'd be rich with this hip condition with the lack of shopping, eating out and cinema, if it weren't for the huge costs of complimentary healthcare! PPS, Keep me posted how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louisa,

    How are you doing now? Any news on the MRI results?
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wearing heels and guess what ? It's not all it's cracked up to be ! I work in an office where I am required to dress every day and I have been wearing my flats more now. Of course you know from my blog that I had an accident in the floor with my heels and the recovery is antagonizing. It doesn't just feel like the muscles now and I am asking for something a little more !
    I would love to buy a bigger house, but right now I have a small one with few stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate,
    Hoping to find out soon, I was told by Mon or Tues, but these things never are. I have no idea whats wrong with my recovery. Yesterday was great (although still on 2x 7.5mg meloxicam. But today rubbish and I cried twice, once because a neighbour asked where Isabella is (nursery as I can't picked her up or walk with her) and once because Oscar got upset I couldn't play out with him! Torture, I guess you've been here.
    I would like a catch all, treatable, answer but suspect I won't get it.. almost dreading the result. Will let you know and well done you on your recovery, following your blog still!

    Erin, I'm sure day to day I'll wear flats anyhow, I meant just to be able to wear heels and feel womanly is what I meant and I suspect Annette,
    I'm moving really only to reduce stairs and be nearer schools and shops, because we are on the edge of a village 2 mile muddy walk to amenities and its 3 floors so loads of stairs and combine I think these factors really hinder sadly.
    Its a real pain (literally) for you that that trip has set you back so much, what do you think it is?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I knew. The pain is almost the same as it was before my surgery, at the groin and through my butt cheek. It hurts now to make a forward motion and even trying to stretch causes a sharp pain through my inner thigh. Hopefully Dr. Eirkcson can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it poss you're just not better yet like me as big surgery and that all the meds you were taking for other stuff gave you a false sense of recovery? Have you dropped any meds recently?
    Oh I wish you well Erin.. Funky tattoo btw, how sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The meds may have been but I have only just stopped taking the muscle relaxer since the accident. I have been on pain meds a while but those were mainly for my spinal issues and my "good" hip which of course is worse off then my post-op one. I wish I knew, but of course I see Dr. Erickson for my followup and he can give me a better idea of what's wrong. It's not too bad today actually but the pain is still in my butt !
    Thanks on the tattoo. My daughter got a matching one but in a more discrete place so her dad can't see it, or we would both be dead ! Her's is much smaller too. It was such a special moment for us.

    ReplyDelete