FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Hip Arthroscopy recovery 8wks 5days

Pain up and down. Today fairly ok, yesterday had me crying and still in both hips

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that I am overdoing it. Not by excess, but simply by standing so long. I still can't sit for very long comfortably, I won't sit for more than 10 mins, unless driving...which means I am on my feet most of the day and I'm GUESSING thats too much, most people sit for 8hrs just at work and watching TV.
My only rest is to lay down and that is preeeettty antisocial! and when I'm out impossible, so I think the standing, thats how I'm overdoing it. Still why can't I sit?

I am going for an MRI scan on Friday, boooooo scary. Professor Schilders ordered it. He wants to see if I've hurt my hamstrings where they join the bone and check out my sacrolliac joint and I've asked if they can check my glutes... there was a time when I used to quite like it when men checked out my ass, but not for this reason!!!
I know my glutes and hips keep spasming, just now the problem is gone, I no longer know why?!

Have put my house on the market this week. I love this house, I have it just how I like it, but the stairs are well, too many! Its 3 stories, so up and down and up and down all day, its killing me!! That and we're in the countryside and I need to be in the suburbs because everything is too far to drive to. This is me resigning to the pain and that it may be ongoing. The op hasn't/isn't going to just whisk the pain away and it need the other side doing yet! Ah well, least we can afford to trade up a little too.

Anyone else recovering quite this err crapily?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Louisa, your posts always put a smile on my face, love your sense of humour! :-)

    Sorry things are sooo slow for you, but hopefully you are right and it's just a bit of overdoing-it-ness. 3 Storeys would suck!

    Hope all goes well with the MRI. Make sure you take some good music to listen to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music and 2 Valium ! I can't do them without it. I am right with you now on the pain it almost sounds exactly the same. I am done after about 20-30 minutes of sitting and have to get up and move it. I actually had one close to massaging my glutes yesterday lol.
    Let me know how it goes please.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm now that I think about it my sitting issues didn't come around until I strained my piriformis muscle .. think that may be it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jess, yes you defo need to keep your humour through this! Thanks will do, MRI impossible without music and drugs and the promise of wine later!

    So Erin, was it the trip, just that thats set you back, because your recovery was amazing? How do you strain your piriformis? Theres defo a connection, as too many people similar, but how do you shake it off?? Any tips send em my way.
    Thanks Guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted some pictures of where my heel got caught in a separation in the floor and I rolled my hip. My recovery was fantastic before that. The piriformis is like the rotator cuff for the hip. I feel opposite the way my hip was facing and pulled the joint, like if you throw out your arm.
    I haven't been able to shake anything off yet and the pain is horrible, sitting getting impossible towards the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Standing almost all day definitely sounds like too much! I am 7.5 weeks and 18 weeks out from my hip surgeries, and they BOTH still get tired and sore after only a couple of hours with lots of standing! First my hip is just sore, and then my gluts start to go crazy and then my hip flexor joins in. Not fun at all! I too have found water therapy to be amazing. I can swim like nothing is wrong with me, unlike anything else!

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin I saw the floor pics, what a pain for you having done so well, though I think your get back again as your body's shown you got great capacity to heal.

    Hi Carolina.. yes I'm really thinking thats my issue. Sounds like you've been through a lot with 2 ops in close sucession!
    I am joining the pool on Monday, would've this week but my Son started school and its been a big week. Can you sit ok?

    ReplyDelete