FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 27 September 2009

Hip Arthroscopy recovery 11 wks, 3 days

Hip Arthroscopy for FAI pincer and labral detachment is still going so slowly. The improvements are almost inperceivable. They are however improvements. I think that thanks to aqua exercises I am losing my limp. I spend half and hour every odd day, as of last week, literally walking forwards, backwards and sideways in a pool. Adding in some 90o leg raises and internal external rotations. I actually feel looser when I get out of the pool. No idea why it works but it works. I would have done it sooner, but was anxious to be pool side on slippy tiles fresh out of an op. Thou a tip, wear your crocs, they're great for stopping slips on wet tiles.

After only a week of this I am able to walk faster, further and much more even strided. In fact yesterday I went shopping for 4+ hours which is a first in a long time! I was delighted though paying for it today, with both my credit card and pain levels!
I also had/suffered those delightful hamstring bursa injections, immediately after with the local anesthetic my hubby said I was walking much faster.. So that could be a factor, although it hasn't yet stopped the sitting pain much. I think in the initial days it made my sitting tolerance a little better and I noticed that I had less pain the the bum sitting and more traveling down my legs that I could feel...but I'm waiting for the steroid to have chance to kick in before drawing too many conclusions.


I've done a bit of research since and a forum contributor said he got better post hip arthroscopy in all but sitting and was given from his doctor a supplement called Acetyl L Carnitine for sciatic pain and that after 1 week his sitting pain just stopped and that IF the pain is sciatic that this will work.
I looked up various research papers and found that like he says 'Acetyle L Carnitine', not just L carnitine, has huge success in relieving neuropathic pain and more so if combined with Alpha lipoic acid. The dosage for eliminating neuropathic pain is said to be 500mg ALC & 200 ALA x 3 x times a day. There don't appear to be many side effects, but that if you are to take any supplement, at any dose, do your research, better still ask a health professional.
I want to try this, but only after I've had a month to give the steroid a chance to do it's thing. I still think my piriformis might be trapping/pressing my sciatic nerve when I sit mainly.
The other route is that hamstring trigger points can masquerade as sciatic pain and as from this week will ask my physio Louise, if she could work on those triggers, she's very good at myofacial work, though its very uncomfortable at the times, there's often immediate relief.

So in short, I am feeling a much better range of movement in my hip and my related movements. I suspect over the 6 yrs clinical and ?? years sub-clinical my body has compensated and consequently caused muscle imbalance and strains on tendons and SOME of the pain is taking longer to subside.

No comments:

Post a Comment