FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Monday, 21 September 2009

hip arthroscopy recovery 10wks, 3 days

Generally my recovery from this hip arthroscopy is much the same. VERY slow and small improvements, almost undetectable. I have started been able to sleep on my front a little again. My limp has lessened provided that I don't walk far, that I take small steps (feel like a geisha!) and walk at a slow pace. I must consider each step as one leg has a fair distance heel strike and the other can't reach half as far, hence the limp.
I realize I was limping before the hip arthroscopy op also, just not so easily provoked.

I'm still taking the 2 x meloxicam, but this week, only one night has needed night time extra meds.
I had a lot of pain though yesterday and purely as we had guests for lunch and I sat eating for a while, easily under one and a half to 2 hours, but its clear to see how a sit down job would be impossible! Grrr God I miss journalism!

As I am sitting now, both sers of my toes are tingling and I have pain in my operated hip's bum cheek. Having read a little on hamstrings, it appears they can trap the sciatic nerve and mimic true sciatica which could explain a lot; as well as the bottom pain.

Wuhoo gotta go, 2 great phone calls, appointment for Ultrasound re hamstrings, then see Surgeon.. Please let this be the final missing piece of my pain jigsaw discovered on Wednesday by Surgeon??? ..and house viewing in 1 hour and I hope someone buys this gorgeous stair hell I live in!

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow woman ! What a day you are going to have. Make sure to have some ice ready when you get home. I feel almost bad that I can now share your pain and know what you are going through. Try to take it easy when you get home tonight and maybe soak in a nice hot bath .. then ice your hip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup I am in pain! Running up and down 30 stairs to make sure every floor is perfect to sell this stair hell of a house.. an attractive, well positioned, deceptively spacious stair hell of a house!!
    Ultra sound on Wed, I'd bet money on a bursa.. Oh God please, please, please let this be the 'curable last piece of the jigsaw'!
    If not I was Hilter in a past life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sense of humor about it all !
    I put in an update today on the blog about my physical therapy. Yesterday he did a message of both side of the Gludeus Minimus and I feel so much better today. Maybe the imbalance of using the left to compensate for the right and of course the other way had caused the muscles to be working overtime and making them tight and sore ? I am excited to see if this might be my key ! I reallllly hope you find yours. Trying new and different things has opened my eyes to the possibilities and I am learning so much about my body and the mechanics of it.
    Good luck tomorrow !

    ReplyDelete