FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Hip Athroscopy rehab day 33 helpful tips





Post hip arthroscopy
for FAI there are some things that will make your days a little easier and I have put some pictures up of how I arranged the bedroom to help survive first 4 weeks post op. Things that you need for FAI surgery, basics really.

1. Large, as can fit, non slip shower mat.
2. Shower stool, I hated everything about it, but frankly showering wouldn't have been possible, certainly the first 3 weeks without it! I got mine for £40 at Argos and really whist I thought it a bit pricey it was worth it. You could possibly get a basic chair in, but closing the cubicle could be challenging and also these stools have non slip sucker feet.
3. Also bought some suction grip handles to help with both manoeuvring around in the shower, but also one by the loo. £15 Argos for 2. In the early weeks this was super handy too.
4. The other thing I did was leave the exercise bike at the foot of the bed, just so it wasn't a hassle to go and cycle and I also put a foot stool there to make climbing on and off the bike easier.

The only other things I can think was with the crutches I put my DVT stockings around the crutch handles and taped them there, not pretty but super soft on your hands. Not one blister. I tried cycle handle bar tape, but by the time there was enough on to make the crutch handles soft, the handles we too big for my hands to fit around!

Also, in the last week coming off crutches, when on the stairs instead of doing the correct good foot to heaven, bad foot to hell, I swapped them over whilst still on crutches. This way, on the way down the stairs my bad foot/leg/hip got used to bending in a controlled way and on the way up stairs my bad foot/leg/hip got used to flexing at the knee with pressure to lift you upstairs. I did that to practice but would only recommend doing that for the few days preceding coming off crutches. I'm sure it helped as I haven't found our 3 story house as hard to get around as I thought I would early off crutches.

Todays progress?
Physiotherapy was painful today, as Louise did trigger point massage, agony but you know it'll pay off.. Still a lots of muscle spasm around the glutes and hips. One great thing is that my glutes are finally building up muscle in the side that has already had surgery. The other side that needs surgery despite doing the same exercises just isn't building, which is interesting because before my op no matter what I did I couldn't build those muscles and only ever succeeded in irritating them.

My physio also watched my gait when walking and advised that as I'm still limping it would be wise to use one crutch until the limp goes, so I'm doing that too.

Today I had a shower WITHOUT the stool, hurrah! Even after the shower just standing in a pair of jeans drying my hair, felt so good to be upright, unaided and without pain.

I'm a long way from better yet, but the changes are literally measurable.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are awesome ! I love your setup. I wished that during the first week that I did have something to support me on the potty. It was scary just letting my body kinda fall down and then getting up was painful. Showering was just as bad, especially when the blood flow is moving fast to that area and starts to throb.

    One thing I would like to add to your list is silk pajamas and silk sheets. Those helped me slide ride out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you're right, or knickers which I used and even cheaper! Anything to get you sliding in and out of bed without pain.

    ReplyDelete