FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Saturday, 22 August 2009

hip arthroscopy rehab wk 6

Can't lay ofr more than few hours, can't sit more than 5 minutes, can't stand for long without consequence, can't walk without crutches or pain. Daren't do the most basic exercises. I can't calm down the pain with medication or ice. Don't know what to do with myself. Completely at a loss.

I am supposed to be traveling abroad to go on holiday next week, don't know how I can sit for 3 hours to get there, but I can't cancel, as travel insurance won't cover my hip. That didn't seem a problem when I booked it 2 weeks ago?!
Pain deep and all encompassing, want to pull my leg off and have done with it, as pain wraps around the whole area. I feel just awful, warn out with this persistant pain.

Looking back I think its started flaring up since coming off crutches, but trust me I couldn't do much less, unless I didn't sit for 'quick' meals, or stand to brush my teeth or lay down to sleep!!

9 comments:

  1. Hi...........so sorry you are in so much pain, have you been to the surgeon or even the doctor to see if this is normal?!? I dont understand blogs, I have been commenting in different places but dont know if you see them if its not on the most recent one, but my surgeon said it can take up to 6 months for the pain pre-op to go as it is a long healing process. So try and hang in there. I get a lot more pain if I do too much then I spend the next few days really resting and using lots of ice to get the swelling down. I know its hard as you cant sit down long enough to rest. Feeling very sorry for you and wish I could magic away the pain. Random thought I know but the most comfortable I have been since the op is when I sat in a garden chair, one that tilted back but not flat, it seem to support me in the right place and I could move it if I felt uncomfy to a different position without getting up, maybe you could try that!!! Good luck, hope you feel better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire, this is the first blog I've written so its new to me, but because the previous blogs are way down on other pages its only the most recent one or two that you spot comments. Sorry if you've commented and wondered why no response, thats why..
    I still check page one with the original symptom as notice people go there.
    How far post op are you?
    Re garden chair noticed similar on the sofa.

    Thank you and would love to hear your story too, how far post op are you?

    Thanks,
    Louisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What meds are you on? Sorry you feel so rough, if things get inflammed it takes ages to settle down (trust me, been there )you start thinking something is really wrong, then it will begin to settle.Ring Monday if still as bad and see if he will give you a cortisone inj to see you through your hols.
    Post tomorrow to let me know how you feel,
    Hugs
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an injury about 4 years ago and damaged my ankle badly. Over time ankle got better but I was noticing more and more pain in my hip...........after many an investigation they found torn cartilage that they believe I did at the same time as my ankle. I was getting lots of pain sitting for any longer than 30mins, car and plane journeys were a nightmare. They said they would do the arthroscopy to trim the cartilage. When they went in they found bone damage too so have repaired everything and I have 6 weeks on crutches. I have done 4, 2 weeks left. I dont know exactly what they have done as my surgon explained when I had just woken up after and I was very sleepy. I see him in 2 weeks and he will tell me all then I guess. I have been having physio evey week and start hydro physio on Monday so hoping that will help. Thats pretty much my story. Just waiting to see if it all improves. Its a slow process and I HATE crutches but hoping it will all be worth it in the end xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Louisa .. I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I don't know what to say at all. I don't have magic answers or educated guesses as to why you are hurting so badly. I do know that if you need an ear I am here for you. It's so hard to tell what is normal and what isn't because I believe even the doctors don't know. We are so unique in what gets done. Don't be afraid to demand your doctor help you determine what the problem is and how you can both resolve it !!!

    Erin
    XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Erin xx

    Claire how do you feel now. I felt fine mainly on crutches, the trouble seemed to begin when I came off them. I kind of came off at 4 weeks, but was limping so physio said go back to using one, which felt harder putting too much pressure on my good hip (good hip not good, just better than bad operated hip) still did it regardless and now just after 6 weeks still limping and gone back onto 2 crutches, I suspect 6 weeks on crutches might've been better for me.
    Has your pre op pain gone yet or haven't you have the opportunity to test that yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way Claire, where are you living?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im living in London. I have been told I have to stay 6 weeks on crutches. I am not using them in the house, only for the stairs but I use them every time I go out, both of them. I asked a physio if I can try with out them but she said best not to as my balance is really poor, I have fallen a few times (not hurt myself though). Also Im still limping too so she said dont rush it, 6 weeks. Surgeon said six weeks too as its bone thats been corrected and it takes 6 weeks to regrow and become strong. I think I would be fine out with one now but just going to do as I am told. I go back to work the day I am ment to be coming off crutches.........Im a teacher and am teaching infant children so I am worried about that. Im doing ok, post op pain is still there when I sit for a long time but seems better than it was, surgeon said expect 6 months for that pain to go but like we all say its so different for everyone by the sounds of things as we have all had slightly different ops. I am still really, really tired if I walk for long which is a pain and actually had a lot of pain yesterday for some reason but seems better today. I have lots of muscle pain all down by leg and lower back but helps with physio............really fed up with it all now. Have you been driving since being off of your crutches? Not sure what the rules are about that.....I am longing to get in my little car and regain some independence!!!! Enough about me, how are you feeling today, any better??? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Claire only just spotted this.. I had a good day yesterday but less so today.

    How much activity are you capable of? If you see todays blog I think that shows the limitations I'm having.

    I had FAI pincer, so my hip bone was taken back to stop it hitting my leg bone and a little off my femur as not enough had come off the hip. My labrum had detached, rather than torn and was reattached. And my surgeon was professor Schilders.

    I can see activity upsetting the area, its the level of activity that really concerns me as I am unable to function.

    I guess teaching is going to have you on your feet a lot. My op was 10th July, when was yours?

    ReplyDelete