FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Hip Arthroscopy rehab day 32 walking progress

Walking ability coming along slowly but surely. 3 days ago tried to walk, without crutches around the green where we live, its just under 1/4 mile long, managed a third of it. Today, 3 days later walked almost all before I felt some pain,then switched back to crutches when I felt pain. I see no point in pushing my body before its ready. A week ago today I would've laughed at you had you said I could walk that far, or at all, without crutches!

Cycling (stationary), I can now cycle for ages unless my 'good' bad hip plays up, but its nearly always that 'good' hip that hurts first when cycling and sitting too.

The downside at the mo, is am getting a fair bit of night pain again, but I think its because I'm pushing my boundaries after relative inactivity of the last 4 weeks and also I think with my bad, operative hip, there's a lot of muscle and tendon malfunction or imbalance from years of compensation. I hope thats the cause!

Thinking I want my 'good' hip fixed now, as the pain is becoming both acute and chronic and I don't want to allow the same damage to be done as in my 'bad' hip. It takes longer to fix the more damage done, entirely logical. I genuinely think if I fixed my good hip, 3 months later than my bad hip, that I will still see positive results faster in the good hip!

Looking forward to tomorrow, going to hurl the shower stool out of my shower cubicle (though only so far as the attic, for next time, utterly invaluable!!)

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow, 1/4 of the way is fantastic considering the amount of time you spent on crutches. I can related to the good/bad hip situation because my other hip is certainly complaining on a daily basis. I want to tell it to hush for now and let me deal with this hip first ! It just wants attention lol.
    Have you tried a hot soak before bed and then laying with a cold pack for a bit before sleeping ? It may just be irritated and need some soothing before you settle in for the night.
    I still haven't done anything really physical other than walking and swimming yet and it concerns me. I have no clue what my ROM is right now and if it's where it should be. The doctor hasn't done any tests either so he doesn't seem overly concerned.

    Erin
    http://platterpussfai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given how little down time you had I reckon at worst the same, at best imprroved

    ReplyDelete
  3. improved. - end of sentence was like had been abducted mid paragraph!

    ReplyDelete