FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Thursday, 6 August 2009

Hip Arthroscopy rehab day 27

4 weeks post hip arthroscopy tomorrow and I am allowed off crutches. I can now walk forwards, but with a limp, slowly and not very far at all. I can shuffle around within a room. I think I will be weening off crutches for a week or two sadly.
Frustratingly my good hip is hurting really badly again, partly over use, but mostly its on its way out. I can't bring myself to commit to another op though until I see some results from this one.. but battling with that argument in my head is the increasing pain from my good hip and not wanting it to become as badly damaged as my bad hip and so increase the recovery time.
I can cycle more smoothly with my operated hip now although having to prematurely stop the length of my cycling sessions because of the impingement on my good hip! The irony!
Exercises continuing and fairly uneventful, I'm looking forward to getting into the water but want to be steadier on my feet poolside before I risk water exercises.

Saw my original physio Louise yesterday, she tested my hip ROM. Some of my (ROM) movements were more flexible on the hip arthroscopy hip than my good hip which I thought interesting. She also tweaked the exercises I was given to make them more effective. No matter how well exercises are written down, it pays to check you're doing them correctly. I also realized how grateful I was that I had been doing similar and same isometric exercises before hand as they're familiar to my body, making them easier to do.
One other thing I wish I'd known earlier was that I NEED to massage the surgery incision points to stop them pulling the skin and muscle inwards and causing pain, a few days ago they looked like they were sinking (bit like cellulite, but worse) and my physio explained I need to firmly massage the area for 10 minutes a couple of times a day to reduce scarring. I hope its not too late to do that, the last thing I need is any source of more pain right now.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that either. I had been soaking in the hottub to loosen them but will definitely massage more. You will get along much better now that you are off the crutches and can start building those muscles again !
    I posted some pics of the incision site that's giving me problems. I figured you would have a better eye than me today ! I still haven't called my doc about it but thinking I should .. and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I should be massaging the incisions, I complained about pain in my leg but physio said it was the stiffness of my muscles from the op area. Going to massage and see if it helps! Thanks! x

    ReplyDelete