FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Saturday, 1 August 2009

Hip Arthroscopy rehab day 22 positive signs

Really tested my hip today as I had to go OUT, YES OUTSIDE, wuhoo, for a few hours to show tenants around one of my rental houses. And my post FAI operative hip feels fine, slightest grumble, in fact its my other hip that is REALLY irritated.. I spent the best part of 3 hours standing too.
My 'good', loose term, hip hurts when I lay, sit and walk in all the same places as the other hip (my bad hip) Its not really my good hip, its just better than the one thats just had the hip arthroscopy! I am aware my 'good' hip on its way out and that it apparently also has impingement; and no doubt labral detachment, or some such horror! If I need to have it treated I think I'll not bother with the MRI this time unless Prof Shilders thinks its necessary. Schilders can already see the impingement on X-ray and I can already feel the symptoms and why go through another MRI, as they're quite an intimidating procedure on there own. Injecting the dye into the hip is surprisingly painless. More a deep uncomfortable ache I found. My issue is I am seriously claustrophobic and that is my problem with MRI scanners.

I was thinking of a steroid shot to keep the pain at bay, but really if my operated hip improves, I think I should get this other impinged hip fixed with hip arthroscopy, before any arthritis sets in. I was lucky with my right hip as Prof Shilders has most likely stopped arthritis forming there and it was forming, as there was a large wave sign, so why push my luck with the other hip?!

Also today I took a few 'shuffly', unaided steps, which I think is amazing, as last week, when I tried my leg wouldn't hold and I swooped when I walked at few steps!! So that feels promising too. There are definite visible signs of improvement. Never the less am religiously staying on my crutches. I can't imagine in a week been off crutches, I suspect a weaning process ahead!

6 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see this post from you !!! I can tell just from your words that you are doing just fine now with the healing process.
    The arthrogram is intimidating in itself isn't it ? It hurt so bad I actually teared up, but I do know it will be required for my right hip. I am also claustrophobic and took Valium before each of my scans. One of them I even had to take 2. I am hoping I only need one more for this other hip.
    It sounds like you are gaining confidence too and you will find in another week that there is even more improvement. Don't push too hard but definitely see what your body can handle ! You will miss the crutches for maybe one day but once you find how much more comfortable it is without them you will be so happy.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what though, I just went out for dinner and it killed sitting for a couple of hours, do you get that still? It worries me, and I know he didn't do the posteria rim is that connected do you think, logically I think not and he said the labrum wasn't damaged there, hense no removal there. But it still kills when I sit. Grrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you stretch at all? You kinda have to prepare your body for it or it will get stiff. I can usually sit for a couple of hours before I feel the need to get up and walk. There isn't any pain but there is some slight stiffness when I get up to move around. It only takes a few steps to work it out, but it's still there regardless. I have a heating pad that I keep right in my chair and it works wonders, maybe try some heat and see how you feel ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, Thank you so, so much for doing this blog. It's 4 am and im laid (sort of) in bed not able to sleep due the pain im in from a hip arthroscopy i had 10 days ago. I was beginning to wonder if id done the right thing having my op as im in more pain than ive ever been in. But after reading this and comments left i know ive done right, its just going to take a while lol. First thing in the morning im going to ring my doctor to sort my pain relief out. The nurses at Chaple Allerton were lovley but i feel ive been let out a little unprepared. 'Here's some crutches and a physio sheet, come back in a month' type of thing. Ive not read all of your blog yet but the parts i have, have really helped. So much so i think i ive relaxed enough that i might be able to get some sleep. Bye for now,Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,
    Only just got this, you only ever see the most recent comments under your current blog unless you plough through old blogs.
    Chapel Allerton are you in Leeds???

    How are you now? I'm having a crappy time since off crutches.

    I do hope you get this, really keen to know how you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there.

    did they perform dislocation on your hip-femur ?

    good wishes

    Michael

    ReplyDelete