FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Tuesday, 18 August 2009

hip arthroscopy rehab day 1 million supposed bloody recovery!

Woke AGAIN with pain in bum/hip. This happens every night now! I still have pain when I sit and no idea if walking distance aggravates it, as I can't yet do that! WHY, WHY WHY hasn't it gone?

I had the hip arthroscopy to treat the pincer FAI with Professor Schilders. Its supposed to have been a success, but pardon my confusion when I feel very much the same as before?!

I have been told to wait for for results from the op, like some kind of 'will it or won't it work?' surprise.. but it feels the same and I fear thats not right.

I'd welcome different pain, I just don't understand why it feels the same? I am getting to my wits end with this ridiculous roller coaster, it would test the patience of a saint! And NO-ONE seems able to tell me why it feels the same?!?!?!?!

In the same way labral tears come with FAI, FAI often comes with retroversion or coxa funda or something, of the acetabulum, I have little comprehension what these are yet, but wonder if 'that's' the problem? Or has Schilders missed a bit? Or should I have had a CT scan to be precise, Or should I have had the rear of the acetabulum scoped? Have I over done or underdone physio?

What are my options? I just don't bloody know????? But I am bored of this, fed up of this, want to escape this, I feel trapped inside my stupid body, forever hoping someone can fix the problem and then the disappointment if they can't!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so gutted for you sweetie, but i totally know how you feel. When i had a z-plasty surgery for an apparent bursitis of the right hip 2 years ago! Still got the same pain now and it's so weak, but i'd always said this hip wasn't the problem but the left was. Now i've found a decent consultant O'Hara that believes it was all referred pain from the left, so i'm being booked in for a triple pelvic ost and valgils ost of the femur in the left that will hopefully solve my hip pains in both hips, twisted knee pain, and very bad lower back pain!! Fingers crossed things will settle down, as unfortunately they do take forever to heal from (12months as a rule) keep in touch sweetie, and rant away to me if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some words of wisdom, encouragement .... something ! I do have the butt pain you are talking about. I had the same pain before but this feels a little different, more like a small stab in the center. There is still tightness all over but I think that is due to less activity on my part. I too find the waiting game irritating and the not knowing if this even worked for me. I wish I could offer you patience and hope, but I don't even have enough for me right now !!! Hopefully we both have a clue soon .. you know we are only like 5-6 days apart from out surgery ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, that sounds like super major surgery! what exactly is it?
    Yes I am very concerned re my hip/s..not sure how will progress..somehow? I did have a trip up about 2 weeks post op, I may have under estimated the impact of that, it was quite a jar. The idea of revision is a horror, esp when I need my complaining left hip scoped for FAI too.

    ReplyDelete