FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 23 August 2009

hip arthroscopy rehab 6wks, 2 days Anything is too much?

I honestly feel like smashing things! Its only 3pm on Sunday afternoon and already I'm in pain on both sides. To hold my body weight I need to lean onto my good hip, only my good hip has gone so bad since the op, it was going downhill before the op, that I can't, so I put more weight on the operated side and guess what, I CAN"T! So actually I can't walk or go up 100's of stairs in this stupid 3 story house that I can't sell because of the credit crunch! I do not know what to do with myself to avoid any weight bearing on either side. I now need to use crutches even pottering in the house! Esle all pain flares.

I've come upstairs to explode onto this stupid blog to avoid screaming and crying 'someone PLEASE help me!!!????' ...and disolving into a fit of pointless tears on the floor by the cooker, in front of the children ...not that anyone could help me..

I am trapped in this crap body and can't even be a mother, let alone sit down long enough to hold down a bloody job as a journalist. I've lost hobbies and activities, followed by a career and now I'm feeling robbed of my precious time with my babies and motherhood. I have look through to find a nanny to do my job, not that we can afford that given I can no longer work blah blah blah blah ......and yes I know I'm not dying and yes it certainly could be worse and normally I can control my feelings with these platitudes, but today after several long, enduring painful days I am losing hope, and possibly perspective...then again in my shoes, from my perspective there doesn't seem to be much hope!

Right affected, faltering smiley face back on to have lunch, LAYING DOWN, with the family!

8 comments:

  1. Louisa, what pain meds are you on? You shouldn't be suffering that much. If I were you I would ring your GP first thing in the morning and ask for something stronger to at least help you function over the next few days.
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to only take them by night as I have no idea what caused this??? ..and with meds scared could do it again?
    But I think I'm going to have to.. The last time this happened to me was 2006 and it took about 10 months to get under control and again I did nothing! Just can't believe it.

    Thanks though Kate for you concern, I am gutted I have absolutely no sign its worked and lots of pain saying it might not, but I'm still trying to hold on to some belief things yet might turn around.. I'm no longer good at blind faith though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm going through the same surgery. I have read a few of your entries and It doesn't seem like I've had it that bad. I stopped taking pain meds a week and half after the surgery. Everyone's pain tolerance is different. I'm still having trouble walking without a limp 6 weeks after surgery. What I did want to tell you is this, I have had the question what caused this whole mess alot. I've since gone to a rhuemetologist to have myself checked for arthritis. I suggest you look into ankylosing spondylitis. Its just a fancy term used for arthritis that effects the back, hips, knees, and ankles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I could help you with the nanny part of your worries! I am a nanny in the US and had my right hip scope for FAI on 5/12/09 and my left on 7/21/09. I would come for a plane ticket and a place to stay! Unfortunately, I am still in physical therapy for 2 more months. I hope you feel better and get some answers soon!

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was checked for rheumatoid arthritis, came back negative, but thanks I certainly understand your train of thought and well done to you for getting through this. I think I'm quite tolerant with pain though, refusing epidurals at births etc, until the midwife insisted!

    Dear Carolina, Hold that thought, I may need you yet! Can't believe you can pick up kids etc after, so wish I could!

    When I was icing last night I thought it felt like an awful lot of inflammation, my thigh is bigger on one side and I wonder if its got chronically inflammed. God knows how.
    I took all the pain meds last night from out of surgery and that took most of the pain away. I will take meds today because without I'm a bear with a sore pore and frankly a hip bore!! Going to Docs in a few hours to see what toxic tablet cocktail I can take to pretend I am pain free!

    Thank you for your thoughts and kind words and sorry this blog is less than positive at the moment, not what I anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louisa, I totally understand why you don't want to take the meds especially as covering up pain can allow you to do too much but your body needs to be pain free to recover so please take them-especially anti inflamms (if your stomach can tolerate them) because otherwise you won't get on top of the inflammation. Maybe a cortisone inj might calm things down quicker, thats a question for Schilders. I really feel for you with young children but I think he will still say its early days (esp as hes male, lol). You need to get to a level that you can function at though, and quickly, even if it is with meds, as long as by taking them its not doing your hip more harm-so much to juggle isn't it?
    Sending you a big hug from East Yorks ,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kate,
    Going to write down some questions now xx

    ps feeling more sane, now bit more of top of pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book Pain Free by Pete Egoscue saved my active life. If you can actually go to an Egoscue Clinic I would recommend it. I know money is tight but his book is 15 dollars and worth every penny. I can't say enough about the pain relief his very simple exercises have brought me. Blessings,
    Greg Gutierrez
    Zen and the Art of Surfing
    www.greggutierrez.com

    ReplyDelete