FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 23 August 2009

hip arthroscopy rehab 6wks, 2 days how much is too much?

Slightly better nights sleep. Feels to be calming very, very 'slightly'. But only because I spent all yesterday again laying about, as God forbid I should stand and weight bear, or sit! I even ate laying down yesterday, which is challenging when you have guests for dinner! I still can only sit for 10 - 15 minutes at a push, but I can feel that action really flaring everything up, it actually hurts instantly I sit.

Seeing the surgeon for 2nd review appointment on Wednesday. I'm rather concerned how I am going to travel an hour round trip to get there, plus the inevitable time sitting and waiting for my appointment. Very concerned how I will travel abroad sitting on 3 hour journey a week today??! I will end up crippled for the holiday! Very worried, wish I'd not booked the holiday now. The whole situation rapidly becoming a nightmare.

I need to write a list of questions for the surgeon, but almost can't be bothered as I suspect most answers will be summarized with 'wait and see!'
I do remember the surgeon saying some people actually get worse before they get better (I dismissed that thinking 'not me!') But I wonder if that's urban myth or real and if real, just how many people has this really actually happened to that HAVE got better? One, two?

This recovery is so disheartening and adding to the trouble my childcare person has had enough and all but abandoned us, as my recovery clearly threatens to stretch past the 6 week mark and be indefinite! So I need urgently to fix up some childcare solutions for Isabella, my 24lb, 10 month old little tank girl and my son, who starts school in 2 weeks. I have no idea how I can get him to and from school, esp with baby in tow!
Its very, very frustrating as one of the key questions I asked was 'how long before I can pick up my 'heavy' baby again?' 'Six weeks' was the answer, but that's completely laughable, not a chance, I can't actually carry my own weight!

If getting up, showering, eating meals, popping out for a loaf of bread, then settling down, laying on the sofa is too much for my hip, what chance have I of looking after 2 young children and all their demands, absolutely none, only a woman with children would appreciate this.

Pre op, I could do that badly, a total struggle, but currently that's a total impossibility... So I am beginning to question my decisions and actions and the wisdom of those around me... I suppose that's inevitable.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I hope you get some answers on Wednesday, in fact don't leave without them, and make sure he understands how bad things are.
    Good luck
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete