FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Saturday, 29 August 2009

Hip Arthroscopy recovery 7 wks, 1day

Yesterday was ok pain-wise, things calmed down, though with packing and having to run some last minute errands, for our last minute holiday in the sun, I pushed a bit hard.

Surprisingly despite this level of activity I was ok in both my operated hip and steroid injected hip, more muscular aches, although developed a weird stabbing pain in my groin of the operated side which I had never experienced before?! Scary as a very sharp pain that takes your breath away? I rested with ice and I hope if I take it easy today, the day before I travel, that it will completely disappear?

Dreading the travel as its a total of three and a half hours on planes or in cars. BUT when I get there, the hotel is almost on the beach, everything is close by. The sea is shallow, warm and calm as a rule and if not the pool is available, so HOPEFULLY the aqua therapy side of it should do me the world of good.
Away a week, keep well fellow hippys xx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Louisa,

    Firstly I would just like to say how inspiring your blog is. I had the same procedure for labral repair & to reduce the cam impingement in my left hip on the 23/07. I am now aproaching stage 2 of the rehab using the prof Damian Griffin protocol. I know the rehab is essential and would like to ask you a couple q's below.

    1)How many physio sessions are you having each week and why?

    2) What excerisies have you been given for stage stage.

    many thanks
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louisa,

    I am having the same op in three days time and until now have not been able to find any info from the patients side, there seams to be a lot of medical reports on hip arthroscopy and FAI which all seam to give the impression it is a safe operation and I will be able to get back into more serious traing by December. Your Blog has been a great help only wish more people had done the same so I could get a feel for what it is going to be like.

    Was inspired by the fact that the Tennis player Leyton Hewitt had the sam op in October and done quite well at Wimbledon this year, I guess I can only dream of gettin the same rehab on the NHS.

    All the best and please keep the Blog updated.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a great time on your holiday ! I wish I could hide in your suitcase and go with you. I need a vacation so badly !
    If you need more blogs there are tons out there. I have several links on my own as well !

    Erin
    http://platterpussfai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI and thanks for your comments! I set this up to help others.. The vacuum of lack of real experience drove me nuts when researching this condition so I am so glad I can help somebody.

    Mick, how are you doing? I hear men fair better in recovery than woman, perhaps an anatomical thing.
    In brief my rehab was basic isometric exercises from day 2 and lots of no resistance cycling. These increase during the 1st month in difficulty (though not difficult) Then from week 4 core and strengthening and aqua, which I personally feel the aqua stuff whilst feeling remedial to do has had the best effect for me.
    Not heard of Griffen method, where, who is he?

    Dear Micheal, sorry not to reply sooner, I have been away for a week. I hope your op went really well, its a biggie!
    Let me know how you're doing, where are you having it? I'm sure the NHS will do a good job, I think you just get less talk time, which can be very frustrating, but I think the quality of care will be just fine.
    Don't push or rush your body to your dec deadline, if its ready you'll be up for it, but if it needs more rest allow it too.
    The rehab is important, but there may be days when rehab inflames things so also know when to lay off too.
    Let me know how it went.

    Hey Erin how are you doing, hope your recovery is still going great. x

    ReplyDelete