FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Friday, 17 July 2009

Hip Arthroscopy rehab - day 7

No idea why, perhaps because I took it easier yesterday and hurray my hip pain has calmed back down! It still hurts but mostly when I lay flat or sit (although that was the case pre-op so I hope that is not a sign op hasn't worked!?) I guess I have to experience some hip pain and when I lay, sit or stand as that is when there is some pressure through the hips. I still haven't tried to put weight through my leg, to my right hip and not use my crutches, I'm too nervous to break the rules set by Prof Schilders.

I woke this morning leaning onto my bad side, it hurt a bit, but the fact I could sleep that way was something and I was also able to stretch and yawn without feeling like someone shoved a knife in my hip, so I woke up thinking progress..be positive!

Today I had to go for my stitches out, I have my blue badge thank god as I discovered I can't crutch v far at all. At the Docs an old (70yrs?) man, WITH A WALKING STICK, actually opened the door for me, I was like 'No you first' and he was "No, no YOU!" Hilarious! Then a second elderly man struck up a conversation with me, starting with "what are you doing with them??" nodding at my blinged up crutches! SO on my outing I discovered in the same way that women are attracted to babies and just come up and talk to you, old men are attracted to crutches and come up and talk to you!

Stitches - a doddle! First stitches felt nothing, second stitches a fraction stingy, but really can't complain..my 8 month old daughter pulling my hair and scratching my face hurts more! Also I can hardly believe how smaller mark there is considering he was fishing around for 3+ hours, incredible. I'll post them once I'm allowed to expose them to air, in a couple of days.

I can tell I feel better than the day before as I haven't been "googling all day"..all the variants 'fai pain' 'hip arthroscopy' hip labral tear' 'my hip surgery failed', 'my hip surgery worked' 'post op pain?' 'no pain?' 'some pain?' 'how much pain?' arrrrgggghhhh and its really annoying when you do that and then find....YOURSELF!
So the contrast in 24 hrs is clear as yesterday I hungrily and fearfully fed off everyone else's blogs and today I was able to venture out and it was lovely even though it was pouring rain, it never felt so good! ..Actually that's just not true, I hate the rain, it always rains and I was cursing, as it made my perfect GHD hair twang back into curls, but I was still grateful to be out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment