FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Thursday, 16 July 2009

Hip arthroscopy rehab - day 6

Ouch hip pain, bugger!
Dunno what I did, but have a big pain flare today in my operative hip???? Why why why?? Too much biking? Did full 20 mins today. Did all isometric exercises, that? Included the glute exercises which do fire up my piriformis muscles a lot, that? I did drop my meds to bare minimum ....and frankly saturn might be in Virgo, THAT!!?!
But that loss of control, of reason is VVV scary and reminiscent of the last 6 years of pain!
I've been super positive until today, frankly enjoying the rests and sleep-ins, but this pain coming from nowhere has me having a 'nervous meltdown' as the meerkat ad says (sorry non UK residents you wont get that!)
Well, bit more crap telly, choc mini roll (comfort food is new to me, but q liking it, v Bridget Jones I know!), some med and here's to hoping for a better day and swifter recovery!
Stitches out tomorrow - ekk!

7 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog. I'm in the middle of getting a solid diagnosis on FAI after scope for labral tear in 2007 and now a retear. Sorry to hear you've had a bad day today, hope you are feeling better soon and that suture removal goes well tomorrow!
    Going to add your blog to my list :-)
    Jess
    www.jessmcb.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you feeling today?
    Hope the stitches came out ok.Do you have a follow up for next week?
    Hope you are feeling a bit better,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious too ! Hopefully the stitches came out just fine and you feel better pain-wise. I posted some pics today after being inspired by yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louisa,
    Hope you don't mind, I have a friend who has FAI in both hips, very similar measurements to yours, and had the first one corrected by the open method about the same time I had my PAO. I passed the details of your blog onto her , knowing she would be interested, and hoping she could also give you some support.She tried to post a message to you but couldn't get it to work, but wanted to know that she is following your story and hopes things work out for you.Just to give you some hope, she is doing really well now.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thank you so much for all your lovely support. I am a lot better today, I really am I even ventured out!
    I'm so keen to hear all your stories and check for updates everyday and its so nice to have like minded people out there that understand. It really means a lot!
    Stitches were fine, I am a wuss thats all!

    ps Kate I don't mind one bit I'm really thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Louisa- Just found your blog as I am 5 days post-op for my own FAI. After 5 years of speculation and misdiagnoses (tight IT bands? Overdeveloped hamstrings? weak core muscles?), I was moved to tears at my diagnosis. Thanks for all of your writing. I look forward to following day by day as I lay on my couch. :)

    ReplyDelete