FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Sunday, 26 July 2009

Hip arthroscopy rehab day 16 accident

Does anybody know how bad it would be to stumble down some stairs. I am devastated. I have no idea how it happened I think I stumbled down the second but last stair and then kind of propelled forward and stopped myself with my bad foot/leg/hip and my opposite crutch, but my operated hip got such a jolt because I was wearing crocs and they don't slip, so my stop was sudden.

I felt vague pain, not agony and have been in pain since. I'm so annoyed with myself as I have been super careful and last night stopped needing drugs at all and today even took a couple of steps without crutches.

Is it possible to undo my surgeons work? Is it possible to do real damage, undo, break anchors? Really distraught. I'm not in agony, but deep constant pain? Have I just caused inflammation, or could I have done damage????????
Any knowledge welcome and appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. If it were me I would take anti inflamms, and ice it, then see how it feels tomorrow. You might be stiff and sore, but I think you will be ok if you are not in agony.If in doubt ring Schilders tomorrow. Did you go full length or just put extra weight on it? If you're not in agony I don't think you need to worry too much.
    Let me know how you are in the morning,
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate, I have done exactly that.
    Wasn't quite like a lunge?? ..about half way there, though at speed on that foot/hip alone, my croc jolted stop on wooden floor.

    I think the fact I'm not in agony should mean just minor result. Of course in the back of my mind I think I never felt the labrum separate from the acetabulum when it first did yrs ago - go away negative voices in my head, go, GO!
    Thanks again x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do things feel today?
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloody hell just wrote detailed reply and its lost grrrrrrr! Not great, but not a disaster I hope. Mainly persistent groin pain and deep buttock pain. Schilders away, so Sec reassured and arranged if bad still by wed, to call back and perhaps arrange a scan.
    So cross with myself.
    Anyway how are you? Thanks for your concern x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds awful ! I wouldn't be extremely concerned since there wasn't a full out loss of control on the hip. It may just be muscle pain or a pull your feeling now. The anchors are probably nice and tight and still attached just fine, but have pulled a tad and that's what your feeling. Fear and being tense never helps either and some of it may be anxiety in your mind. Take a nice soak in the bath, take something to sooth your nerves and find something to distract you from the pain and see how you feel. When I get tense even my back hurts, but sitting in a quiet place with my eyes closed, I can imagine in my head all the little worker cells repairing themselves and I feel better.

    BIG HUGS !
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Erin..can tell your in the states suggesting I take something to relax, here it would definately be a 'cup of tea' or at a push a glass of wine.
    I might pop a diaz to see if tension, though I doubt it, but I have some just in case ones that I use for flying, as it stops the muscles spasming in a reaction to the pain of sitting.

    Thanks will be popping by yours later, kids due home soon and chaos will break loose! Hope you're well too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glass of wine!! Or two! Maybe a diaz too! lol
    I think the work done is more resilient than you think and its more likely to be muscle related. ( Will cross fingers for you anyway) If you are in anyway worried get the scan and put your mind at rest.
    Im doing great now, thanks, will update blog tomorrow after physio.
    Kate x
    PS Please don't try without crutches unless he has said you can-my guess is he said 4-6 weeks? Thats the way you will do the damage not by a quick stumble.

    ReplyDelete