FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Hip Arthroscopy rehab- day 12 Exercise rehab

It is an absolute must with hip arthroscopy rehabilitation for FAI and labral tear surgery that you do the basic exercises given. They are essential for keeping/increasing your ROM (range of movement) and some strength. Basically if you don't do exercise, or be active, your hip joint can seize up to varying extents post surgery.
Feeling really good today, suddenly I can flex my quads and put a little weight on my leg/hip.
Doing all the exercises for my hip arthroscopy rehabilitation and have been from day two.
There is a hip abduction exercise - easy peasy.
Quad tensing exercises - fine but for the incision points.
Transverse abdominus - yep in tune! After 3 years of trying to get better through physio etc without knowing the problem, I can do isometric and core exercises in my sleep!
Glutes now that's my weakness, do that and I have a pain flare within hours.
Piriformis stretch isn't enough for me and it pinches my groin, so I do very little of those, my piriformis has been troublesome since all my pain began, but I need stronger exercises to stretch this and they are off limits for the time being.
Quad stretch is suddenly easier today, no idea why. Adductor stretch just unsure how far to go..
Quadrupled rocking is I think a pain flare trigger, but that makes sense as if you rock diagonally onto operated hip that's a lot of pressure, so I might reintroduce this one in some days and see if possible.
Standing hip internal rotation - not sure this one, so I'm waiting until I see Prof Schilders before trying.
Heel slides I could do on day 3 for relief so don't need a cord, they're easy to me.
Cycling on stationary bike I only do 15 - 20 x 2 per day, should be longer but really hurts to sit on saddle still after a while! That was possible from day 2.
'Hip arthroscopy rehabilitation' is time consuming but you do feel day by day progression, which helps mentally also and lets face it I'm going nowhere for the time being! I keep my stationary bile at the foot of the bed, no excuses for forgetting then!

6 comments:

  1. I am seeing my PT tomorrow for the same thing, to get some good stretches. With my back and 1 still really bad hip I am not sure what they can do for me. I had to look up some of yours to see how they are done and a couple I am managing in the water. I am hoping to get a little relief that's for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one that PRE OP gave me the most relief from low back pain and hip was the piriformis stretch where lay on back, cross one leg over the other and pull across,find pics on net its a common one. It helped my hip too, but you CAN"T do this AFTER YOUR OP. (not shouting!! don't wanna cause you injury) AND it might not be great for your hip even though it felt to help mine. Actually by the time you get this you'll be sorted at PT with the time difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louisa,
    You sound as if you are doing really well-you had a lot of work done in there! The glutes take months to get stronger just do what you feel comfortable with, the rest will come. Do you have access to hydrotherapy? If your local hospial does it , Schilders should be able to give you a referral (I asked Witt and took mine there myself). I had it after my scope and it helped so much with strengthening. Good luck with your follow-up appointment, and thanks for all the encouragement you have given me.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried stretching the piriformis but because my right hip is in such horrible shape it was painful. My facet arthritis has been acting up too so even when I try just a little stretch it hurts in my bottom :). I seriously need to get my other hip fixed, and soon or this is going to take longer ! I am definitely looking forward to my appointment today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kate,
    I am chasing hydro, keep reading how beneficial it is. Ps Anytime!
    Erin Goodluck with your app today, or tom, rubbish with time diff, ah of course your prob 8 hrs behind not ahead.. so was that yesterday? Oh my God, I hope it went well then! Mine's tomorrow, or today for you I think arrrrrgh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long is it taking those of you who had surgery to get back to work. I need to be on my feet most of the day and cant take too much time off of work. Thanks

    ReplyDelete