FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Saturday, 4 July 2009

Hip Arthroscopy - 6 days to go!

God I've turned into a thorough hip bore! I think and talk of little else!

I've been so busy trying to get things done and cleared out of the way for the hip surgery. I have two four bed houses, that I let out to professionals and this week alone I've had to: have a gas pipe fixed, a washer fixed, drains unblocked, all carpets cleaned and employ a cleaner..oh and the small matter of replacing 4, possibly more tenants! Arrgh...
Then I have my four yr old Oscar, have had to book him into full time nursery, take him to school introduction meetings (starting in Sept), buy his uniform. Then my 8 month old daughter, had to take her to tester nursery days. My Mum has retired to look after her for me during this, which is an absolute God send! However I want nursery on standby in case it becomes too much for her.
So been dealing with all that and a sea of paying bills and doing everything I can anticipate that I might need to do within 6 weeks of having my hip surgery. All that whilst lumping round a 23lb heffer baby!

I swing between amusement and self pity at the moment, with the underlying current of fear!

I have just got some mobility aids, as standing in the shower the other day I found myself thinking, how do I do this on one leg?!! Duh! So I bought a stool designed for an 80 yr old, so I can sit in the shower, sexy stuff eh!
I'm starting to look at my obstacle course, sorry house and wonder quite how I will get around it with crutches. I have been told to expect one month on crutches cos of the FAI bone work.
I'm thinking at home the doors aren't wide for me to get through on crutches (I'm not big by the way!) The coffee tables got to go and kids toys all over the floor???? In fact my house looks like one of those old joke 'spot the hazards at work' pictures!! And sorry to be such a girl but I've had the hair dryer hung on the wall so I don't have to reach to the floor and I'm wondering where I can put my GHD's so I can sit, still see in the mirror and use them without setting the house on fire.
I do think crutches should be given in advance I really need to practice NOW!

I have a list of Q's for my consultant pre surgery..top of the list been "Can I have a pre med right NOW please?"

My next question is: it says remove all cosmetics and nail polish but can I keep on 'toe' nail polish? (I've just had them done and soo pretty) and its not like I'll be able to reach them for sometime is it! ...Ah how the trivia is a blessing sent to distract!!!

I just want it over with now,though then theres' the mobility saga for a month or so and then theres' the 'has it worked?' Its very much a 3 stage procedure, no 4 stage.

1 Hip arthroscopy terror whilst waiting.
2 Hip arthroscopy to address labral tear and FAI bone work
3 Extensive rehab with mobility issues.
4 "Has it worked?" as you come out the other side

Statistics look quite good, there was a new 'medium term success rates' justifying in favour of hip arthroscopy, released this April 2009 in Europe, much input form Mr Byrd, showing very good statistics.
Though if you read the net it reflects quite a negative story, but then I have to remind myself that the people who get well just get on with their lives and its the only really the people who don't do so well who are left behind posting on forums.
Sports forums are generally more upbeat like 'cool runner' etc because they come back to help fellow sports people.

Anyway must dash, postmans' been want to check if my damn blue badge has arrived yet? THAT will be a godsend! I'm hoping to at least get out for the odd meal..
Oh just picture my poor hubby's tired face as he unloads from the car a jumping jack 4 yr old, a baby with pram and all the related paraphernalia and a wife on crutches!! Not sure if I want to laugh or cry!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Chick, my leg length difference is huge so over an inch probably an inch and a half. I'm pre op for hip replacement for the left and a PAO in the right hip. I'm pleased that it's NOT only my house that looks like an obstacle course, i swear the kids will kill me with shoes lying everywhere and toys, just the other day in barefoot i stood on a bratz which killed!! Like standing on a upturned plug it was, so sharp!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!
    Stuff like blue badges really not needed, honestly!
    Oh, toe polish not allowed either, sorry,
    Good luck
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the piriformis advice. You are the second person to suggest that, but I didn't know how to do the tennis ball thing, so thanks , will try that.
    Hope you do ok next week, am sure you will, look forward to the update.
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, our surgeries are just days apart; I guess misery loves company! I'll take some time to read your blog a bit later. A friend of mine had the same FAI arthroscopy a year and a half ago with a very good result. More later after I'm able to read your blog. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ach, just reading about your one available vein (me too, and that one is still bruised from my autologous donation), the shakiness you'll have entering the hospital (me too, hubby will have to drag me in) and all of the other hospital fears you have (me too). I do think our pre-surgery fears are far worse than what actually will happen. Wish I had some anxiety meds to take now though. terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nail polish - means hands and toes I'm afraid. Best of luck to you for your surgery. I'm 4 months post-total hip replacement at age 45. I was in pain for 20 years before I finally let someone take a look at it - diagnosis was congenital hip dysplasia. Terrified of surgery doesn't even begin to cover how I felt. Now, 4 months later, I say it is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I live a life without limitations of pain for the first time in so long, I feel as if I've been reborn.

    ReplyDelete