FAI Hip Impingement (Femoro-acetabular Impingement)

FAI Hip Impingement Awareness facts - It is estimated that approximately 15% of the young, adult population have hip impingement, so who do you know that might have it?
Hip impingement causes painful labral tears within the hip socket.
Hip FAI symptoms are misleading to the average medical professional, as FAI hip impingement pain frequently presents as low back pain and interesting only 10% of back pain is ever clinically diagnosed and cured... Which begs the question what percentage is actually caused by hip FAI or hip impingement, as its otherwise known.
The more active you are, the more likely you are to trigger hip impingement symptoms, so busy mums and gym bunnies beware... but at least you're in good company as many premiere league football players have also suffered FAI hip pain.
Hip impingement is diagnosed through x-ray and labral tears are diagnosed through MRI arthograms - but both need to be read by hip consultants specifically trained in FAI hip impingement.
There are 60,000 hip replacements every year in the UK and it now appears that FAI hip impingement, over the years, could be the leading cause of hip osteoarthritis. A silent epidemic.
Hip arthroscopy can reduce the hip impingement and reattach the torn labrum to the hip socket. This surgery can eliminate the pain and disability caused by FAI hip impingement and divert the need for hip replacement in later life.


Also please feel welcome to join in our help and advice forum for support. We have 3 advising FAI expert hip surgeons, 3 PT/physios and a sports medicine doctor as well as the largest international FAI hip impingement forum on the net:

Saturday, 20 June 2009

Hip arthroscopy FAI - pre op panics

I have scheduled my hip arthroscopy to repair femoral acetabular impingement (FAI) and labral tear, on my right side for Friday 10th July 2009 with the surgeon. I can't believe I have actually done it!

I am almost physically sick with worry and pretending not to be, as most people don't really get what I'm dealing with anyway.. Ironically having spent a week laying on a sun lounger my hips are feeling much better as they do with less activity. The downside is I want them to hurt as normal, as some days I would fearlessly check myself into surgery there and then, due to the pain!
Positive, positive, stay positive!!! arrrhhh...
I can not imagine what state I'll be in by the 8th or 9th of July, I'll probably be on the run with a bottle full of diazapam. Well I'm going to go into Harrogate shopping to:
1. Buy hospital stay over stuff.
2. Walk around enough to bring on all the symptoms and begin limping again.
3. Test how many pre op panic attacks I can bring on for sport!

Breath, breath... calm..

4 comments:

  1. Hey you will be fine!
    I know what you mean about wanting to bring on the pain, been there and got that t-shirt, lol! Is it just an overnight stay?
    Honestly the waiting is the worst, once you get there you will wonder why you were so worried!
    All the best, Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once its over perhaps!, I alternate between now now, do it now, to wanting to run away..think I'll buy some paper bags to hyperventilate into!

    Did Schilders scope you first? and it not work? Are there more comfortable crutches to use? Will they give me a pick up stick?..God I thought I'd be 70 before I said that!

    Are you starting to feel good now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi louisa.im also under prof.schillders,have been for 3 half years.hes done one arthroscopy to repair capsular,then year later he did a bursectomy.now he says my option is to have another hip arthroscopy!!! ive been in absolute agony since july 12th 2007,i dont have a life,its an existence.ive deteriorated so much that im now bedridden!!! im extremely determined,person and used to be hugely active.ive always had a standing job since i was 12.i used to cycle,salsa,yoga,swim,walk and ski.now i cant move,the pain is agonising in my hip and groin all the time.if i try and move its off the scale.the most distressing thing for me and my hubby is that the last time i saw schilders ,he doesnt seem to think its f.a.i or a tear?!? hes no idea what it is?!? so he said his only option is to do another arthroscope.hes told us not to get our hopes up re this next op?!? i really am totally puzzled,cos all my symptoms add up for a tear/fai?!? just wondered if he was as unsure before your arthroscopy? many thanks,its an exc site! very good support,cant believe how young we are,suffering so badly.thanks again,lookin frwrd to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, So sorry only just found this by chance... email me louisa.w@virgin.net

    ReplyDelete